Convert Family Parameter to Existing Shared Parameter

It seems to work. Really great work! Can’t thank you enough!
I guess you didn’t only make me happy, but other forum users as well. :wink:

One last question regarding this topic.

What if, in one (or more) Familie(s), has one (or more) Parameter(s) that happen to be a Shared Parameter already? Do I need put a filter in your .dyn? Would that work?

Reason i ask is that I had that and then the Script doesn’t work.
Script worked fine as soon as i removed the Parameter i knew was Shared.

Then you need to run an extra step in the Python to check if the parameter is shared. If so you convert it to a family parameter first, and then replace that with the shared instead. A really lazy way of doing this could be to use a try/except statement to attempt to first replace shared with family, then in the except catch you proceed on to the common step to replace family with shared.

If you want the script to be adjusted again for this please promise me this is the last request. The forums aren’t intended as an iterative free work market, and we’ve technically solved the original problem.

1 Like

Gavin, it was (and is) never my intent to let you do (free) work for me
(or for anyone else in in that matter).
If I could solve my last question myself with only nodes I would have done that.
If it can be only done by editing your Python for now, then unfortunately (for me),
I don’t have that skill set (yet - I hope).

If you would be so kind then i would greatly appreciat this (again), but if you don’t then that is totally understandable. I can promise you it would be my last request in the matter.

Fair point. I could have been more clear / thorough about my (user) case in the first place.

Done:

Don’t mean to direct frustration at you directly - just finding most of my time on the forums and in coding in general these days is building things for people to run that don’t have time to learn how to develop it in time on their own volition.

Anyway, enjoy!

3 Likes

Just adding that the video for this is now available, hopefully helps people facing a similar challenge in understanding the approach I took:

@bvs1982