Collect Model Metrics in Single Excel

Hi all, I’ve created a simple model health dashboard that reports a handle of model information to users, updated via a dynamo script (gratuitously nicked from @GavinCrump).

I’d like to take the next step and collate this information in a common excel file, which I can then handle practice-wide through PowerBI and similar.

My question is; how can I write these metrics to an excel file when a user runs the script?
I know how to write to a new blank excel file, but I’m unsure how to add a new row of information everytime the script is run.

My python knowledge is limited.
Revit 2023.1, Dynamo 2.16

Instead of Excel I’d recommend using a CSV.

Pros:

• Faster
  • More portable as it works in basically any tool
  • More consistent as you don’t have to worry about corrupted Excel installations
  • Easy to append data into via list management
  • No Python involved
  • Can be consumed into PowerBI or excel without issue

The drawback to using one file is that you’ll eventually have multiple rows for the same model; if you are set up to work with things over time that would likely be good, but it could also be problematic if you aren’t set up that way (why do we have ten entries for the same model in the dashboard?).

I see what you mean, I may look into it as i’m not sure how the info will be handled just yet. In the meantime, this was my workaround:
I’m reading the excel file, counting the lists (rows) and using this as a start row input

will see if it behaves!

I think I would prefer multiple instances of the same model, so I can graph out the progression of file size for example, and identify spikes in size etc

I’d still recommend swapping those excel nodes for CSV ones.

1 Like