Collect all elements in Document regardless of category type

Dear Dynamo colleagues,

I have a script that loads family’s from a standard Revit document into a new (empty) project.
The family’s that need to be loaded are given in an excel which contains the exact same family names.

Now i use the rhythm nodes to load the Revit document and to collect the elements.
I only seem to be able to collect and load the elements of a certain category.
The category now comes from the orange part which i want to get rid of.
Is it possible to collect and load elements regardless of the category type?

Hi Jordy,

I think you could use this suggestion:

Thank you for your reply.

The thing is, that I don’t want to get the elements from the current document but from an external document.
Rhythm first opens a file and then collects the elements from that certain document.

Is there any way to implement that, or to make Rhythm use al cattegories.

You say you want to collect and load the families but your graph seems to be doing a copy/paste. Are you wanting to replicate the existing model in the new document or do you just want to load those families into the project? These are two very different things.

If you want to load the families for use then I’d suggest exporting the families to a library. It makes more sense to load the external families into a new document than to try and copy all the family and element types. This does however have limits on non-loadable families.

If you’re trying to copy/paste the elements to a new document then it’s not surprising that you’re having a few issues. Certain elements with a reference/host may have issues transferring without the reference.

Can you clarify what it is you want exactly and post a screenshot with the preview bubbles and specific issues that you’re running into?

1 Like

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply.
I want to copy those families into a new project.

So basically we want to start a new project.
To start this new project we open a new template, this template does not contain any families.
We do this so that we have families only in one place and make it easier to update those families.

So in this new template we want to copy only specified families, that are specified in an excel. (the excel contains de specific family names)
First we made a script that loads a single categorie at the time.
Now i made a script that loads several categories at once, but i was hoping that it could be more efficient.

I hope the story makes a bit sense, since English is not my main language.

I may not fully understand, but why not just keep the families in the template file and update them from there? Isnt that what a template file is for?

The reason is that we have quit a big library with loads and loads of different materials.
This ranges from concrete foundations and steel beams in all sorts to doors and loads more.
So we have had all this in one template but since it is so much the file got really slow.

And it is just a choice that has been made throughout the company.

What about a library of Revit families? If you are already using an Excel-file containing the exact names of the families you want, you could use that same list to automatically import your families from there.

All the Revit families are in one file.
And only the selected ones from the excel file will be loaded into the new project.

Wouldn’t a Revit families library, without a Revit file where they are all loaded into be easier to implement and keep up to date?

What is the specific reason you are using a Revit file containing all the families?

We also do the same in my previous company…
One reason is that we can easily see the family before loading them to the project.

It depends on the type of family.
This specific script is ment for system families so there is not a possibility to do it without a Revit file.
Also we have a script that loads loadable families.

Hop this explains a bit why we do it like this.