Clash Point associated to clashing elements

Hi All,

I have a script to find where ducts intersect with walls then place a penetration family at that point.

I then assumed using the list of associated ducts I could change the parameter of the penetration to suit the duct. However, it seems the list of generated penetrations doesn’t align with the ducts when I check the element ID and when the penetration size/rotation doesn’t match the duct.

End goal is to place penetration > Change size based on duct WxH > Rotate based on duct vector > and modify a few other parameter.

Only thing I can think of causing the issue is the clashing detection results don’t index the points to match the element inputs??

I thought then if I can somehow match the point to the curve of the duct and retrieve the index this way?

Any ideas, thanks.

https://access.livebox.com.au/portal/s/956647384970268102.dyn

Went back to the drawing board and realised I was using the Element.Intersection incorrectly, so switched the inputs and didn’t flatten the duct list which maintained the indexing

2 Likes

Hi Allan,

I am trying to see if I can use a script like this for piping, and was having a bit of trouble figuring out the inputs for this script when run through the Dyanmo player. For the categories I’m assuming I would select walls and pipes (ducts in your case), but what should be the inputs for the Family Types and Number lists?

Thank you!

The family type inputs appear to be for round-shaped and rectangular-shaped families to represent penetrations. The number inputs seems to be used to modify the parameter within the family by expanding the size of the ‘hole’ from the penetrating dimension.

You would need to develop a similar family to use this graph, or modify the graph to be compatible with your method of displaying penetration points.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Ya, I’ll have to do some modifying, but was planning on that anyways. Thanks for the help on where/how to start on it!

Andrew, attached is the finished script I used for my ductwork. For pipework just replace the duct with pipe category. This script also places a penetration family and sets the size based on the penetrating duct so you will most likely have to modify that to suit your penetration family and pipe size parameters. Any more questions just fire away, like you said will need to modify it to suit your setup. Place Penetrations at Wall Intersection.dyn (280.7 KB)

Thank you Allan! What packages does the script use for nodes? Having trouble getting the proper ones. Then I have two questions…

1. It looks like for this script, you may have to incorporate a linked model. Is that correct? Just making sure before I consider modifying so a linked model isn’t needed.
  2. Can you send a screenshot of all the script parameters filled out in the dynamo player for a thorough example of how it should look?
1 Like