Civil 3d To Arc GIS

How can i Export Civil 3d Pressure Network To Arc GIS

If you want to keep a live connection to the Civil 3D Data, you can do a BIM Geodatabase in AcGIS. You just need the Civil 3D files in ACC/BIM 360. Otherwise you can also run a Geoprocessing Tool in ArcGIS Pro to convert CAD to Geodatabase, Your best hope to just export from Civil 3d and send off is MAPEXPORT.

1 Like

I don’t personally use dynamo for this process but I have automated it heavily. I utilize object data for my pipes and then I run a MAPEXPORT on all of my pipes (sewer, storm, water, ect). I then use the arcpy module in a jupyter notebook to process the shapefile that was exported and send the data to each of my different file geodatabases according to the “layer” it is on.

What you can do is run the “append” command in arcgis pro, go to your history, and drag the process you completed into a python window. This will show the code for the process. Then copy that into a jupyter notebook so that you can run an append without having to run arcgis pro commands.

I’ll attach my latest Utility Processing script. It is specific to my needs but perhaps you can learn something from it. (Note it has to be in .py form, I can’t upload .IPYNB files to these forums).UtilityProcessing-Final.py (29.8 KB)

3 Likes

@WrightEngineering That is really cool. You definitely need something like that for Pressure especially. Are you able to preserve your Styles back and forth? I am trying to have Civil 3D and ArcGIS Online as ‘live-linked’ as possible, but Pressure is an issue as well as Styles Mapping. I was leaning towards Dynamo b/c it easy to apply Styles with Dynamo.

Nick,

Unfortunately to import back into CAD you would need to use the mapimport command, where you would have to select the block type and layer for each point entity and the layer for each line entity to get styles to display correctly. I normally work with polylines and blocks instead of structures for my city-wide data since it is more lightweight and convert the entities to pipe networks when doing a project where I need the 3d entities. Updating back to CAD is a bit lengthy of a process because you have to go through each feature class one by one and the layer selection and block selection tools in the mapimport tool leave some things to be desired.