Circular Array of Family

Hi; new to Dynamo/Revit coming from a Grasshopper/Rhino background.

I was wondering if there was a Dynamo node for arraying a family instance radially?

The Geometry.Rotate node does not work for family instances, and FamilyInstance.SetRotation seems to only address a specific instance of a family, such that the last FamilyInstance.SetRotation will determine the final translation, as opposed to each concurrent node creating a new instance.

In short - is there a rotation node that can copy a family instance radially that works from a cross product of a single Family Instance and multiple angle inputs?

Whilst i understand that I could place an instance of the family at each intended location, then progressively rotate them, is there a single node I am missing that could get the job done?

Thanks!

Hi,
I also came to Dynamo with a Grasshopper background and at the beginning everything was a bit frustrating. The point is that Grasshopper works directly with geometries, but in Dynamo you also have to deal with the Revit objects (families).

I don’t know if a custom node exists, but I would do it in this way:

Array

The blue part is how you should create an array in Dynamo, it’s similar to Grasshopper but the problem is that works only for Dynamo geometries. At that point you need to place a Revit family in your project, and that’s the difference from Grasshopper.

The orange part is to place one family for every point, and the green to rotate them. The center of rotation is the center of the family, so it depends on how is your family created.

Array2

4 Likes