Can't create vertical line in front view

Hi! I am trying to create dimmensions on an assembly view, specifically a hight dimmension in a Section A view (in my case it would have the same orientation as a Front view). I have successfully automated “horizontal”/width dimmensions, but I can´t do it vertically. I get some of these errors when creating the line to place the dimmension:

I have narrowed my problem, and now I am just trying to draw a vertical line in the Section A view… unsuccessfully. I noticed it is not reading Z coordinates as I would expect it to do so. Here are some expamples:
Line in X axis: OK

Line in XZ plane: same result as line in X axis (I would have expected it to be 45°)

Line in Z axis: I believed Z axis would be my vertical orientation in this view, and this is the dimmension I would like to create, in order to show my panel´s hight, but it says it is normal to the view

Line in Y axis: Y axis doesn´t seem to be the vertical axis either

If I draw a detail line on the desired view and get its location with Dynamo I get this result (showing it has a Z direction):
Line(StartPoint = Point(X = -4460.402, Y = -6384.542, Z = 0.000), EndPoint = Point(X = -4460.402, Y = -6384.542, Z = 3600.000), Direction = Vector(X = 0.000, Y = 0.000, Z = 3600.000, Length = 3600.000))

Any suggestions on why this is happening or how to solve it? Am I doing something wrong? What am I missing?
Thank you in advance!

You probably need to set the SketchPlane. Always search for similar topics before posting. The thread below should give you what you need.

Detail Lines. How to place detail lines in Section/Elevation views - Lists-Logic - Dynamo (dynamobim.com)

@Nick_Boyts Thank you for your help! I have followed the instructions in the recommended post: I have set the view´s SketchPlane to the view´s plane (which has a normal direction -Y), but when I try to draw the Detail curve in Z (after setting the SketchPlane) I still get the same error (curve normal to plane)

Try putting a Transaction node after SetSketchPlane and make sure you’re running in Manual mode.

Did I understand correctly? It is still not working

Yeah, I’m not sure why it’s still failing. It doesn’t seem to be respecting the sketch plane.

It still works correctly via the API though. This post has a working example that creates the line in the correct plane.

@solamour can we confirm the DetailCurve.ByCurve node is working correctly on non-plan views?

Thank you very much @Nick_Boyts !

In the past, I used to use a custom node from clockwork to do this because of some of these bugs. I think it still exists?”DetailLine.ByCurve”

3 Likes

So the node is actually behaving as designed right now, where it projects onto the XY plane and has been there since 2016. Should this have been there? Probably not :smiley: But it’s working “as intended” for now. We are going to log an improvment to it.

In the meantime, the best path forward is using a package node (Like @john_pierson mentions) or Python.

3 Likes