CAD Import as Polylines?

Hello all,
i have a floorplan view in AutoCad Architecture with walls as polylines. Now i want to import them to Revit to convert them automatically into walls. However Bimorphs package with “CAD.CurvesFromCADLayers” gives me only one list with all lines in the view. They aren’t really sorted and have different vector directions, so grouping them by intersecting start/endpoints doesn’t give me the result i want. I need grouped polylines - any ideas on this? :slight_smile:

greetings kev

I have tried this before.My way is as follows:
1,get lines from CAD files
2,sort lines by direction(vector)
3,sort lines by distance(for example 200mm)
4,get the isoline or center line as location for creating the wall

You can check my YouTube videos for that.I’ve already done that.

You want to work with full apples, but are utilizing a workflow where the apples are being cut up and mashed into apple sauce (importing into Revit) before you bring them in.

Instead, why not bring the apples in directly?

Open Dynamo for Civil 3D, select the objects you want to convert, pull the geometry and convert to polylines, and wire those into a Data.Remember or serialize the geometry into a text file. Then open the graph or import the serialized data into a Dynamo for Revit instance, and use that to generate your elements.

somehow this is isnt’t working for complex floor plans i guess…
i will try this on a easier one…

unfortunately i never worked on civil … maybe this could be the workaround - i will try if i don’t come across with a better solution on this :slight_smile:

If you’ve got access to the AEC collection you have access to it; Get it installed, and you can use launch it as AutoCAD if you’re more comfortable with that UI. The important bit is access to Dynamo.

Wall contours can be obtained with hatching, example here

but if precision is sought, it is better to use the @jacob.small 's solution (if dwg instance has been transformed, it will have to be taken into account)

1 Like

try using LINKDWG, this package takes the information directly from autocad.
if i am not mistaking it will bring the polylines in as polycurves.

1 Like

It depends different distance between walls,some walls are 200mm thick some are 100mm,some even are 50mm,try to group them.This will make your script more complex.

Hi @KevSch ,

Like @l.dorrestijn mentioned, perhaps the LinkDWG Package might work for you.

There is also another package called CivilConnection, which is to be used within Dynamo for Revit, perhaps that one works (too)/ better than LinkDWG. For CivilConnection do you only need to open the dwg-file within AutoCAD or Civil3D to retrieve information from the dwg.