Bimorph CAD.CurvesFromCADLayers not working consistently on the same linked dwg geometry

Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue with bimorph CAD.CurvesFromCADLayers node:

The script doesn’t work consistently on the same geometry. When I use the script in the uploaded “CAD Link Overall.dwg file”, I get an “Empty List” result (this is the CAD link containing all the elements as a whole).

I tried to isolate the problem by subdividing the overall “CAD Link Overall.dwg file” into smaller part files such as “CAD Link Part 1”, “CAD Link Part 2”, Part 3, Part 4, etc, the script works randomly in some parts but not others.

At the beginning I thought the problem was the overall and/or the part size geometry was too large, or had too many elements. But I noticed the node works in large parts and does not work in some small parts, size and quantity of geometry doesn’t seem to be the issue. I have noticed some other posts with this node giving an “Empty List” result but their condition is not the same as this, see screenshots below for more info:

All files have been purged

If anyone wants to dig in more, here is a google drive link where you can download the script as well as the cad link overall file and its parts. Any help or clue is greatly appreciated! :pray:

My guess: large geometry extents. Explode all blocks to the core parts, move everything to the internal origin, purge, audit, purge, audit and purge again, and then finally WBLOCK the dwg. Import the WBLOCK and see if that runs any better.

Hi Jacob, thanks for the suggestion, I just tried relocating the elements on or near the CAD origin, exploded, purged, audited and WBLOCK the file. Unfortunately it didn’t work, I still get the “Empty List” result. I have uploaded the new relocated, purged and audited file in case anyone wants to take a look, it is located here: CAD Link Overall-Relocated-Exploded-Purged.dwg

Your file contains SolidFace entities. The node does exactly what it says on the tin and only extracts ‘curves from CAD files’. It does make an exception for planar shapes (which are 0 volume solids from the Revit APIs perspective) so I suspect the reason why you see the node work in some areas and not others is because some of the SolidFace entities in your file are planar, so when the Revit API finds them it represents them as 0 volume solids and CurveFromCADLayers can extract the boundary curves.

Do what @jacob.small suggested; explode everything to curves beforehand and give the node what its designed to filter…curves. If you don’t/can’t, then you’ll need to use a different node.

1 Like

Thanks Thomas, I tried exploding, relocating, etc. but that didn´t work. I found a workaround converting the elements from mesh to surface in acad, after that the node works fine. And by the way, thanks for putting this node out there, it has been great help.