Behavior of FaceAnalysisDisplay.ByViewFacePointsAndValues

I am investigating the use of FaceAnalysisDisplay.ByViewFacePointsAndValues.

I have found that, when I select the ceiling surface directly from Revit ceiling using “Select Face” node (selecting the bottom face), the color renders as expected. It works in both 3D and in ceiling plan views. Whereas if I select the ceiling using “Select Model Element” node and extracting the bottom surface doesn’t yield the same result. While both choices of surface says “Revit.AnalysisDisplay.FaceAnalysisDisplay” in the output node, the first “Select Face” process works while the other doesn’t.

Is there a particular reason why it would be the case? Is there anything I can do to fix this behavior for automated surface selection?

Our basic intent here is to colorize the ceiling plans with some form of data so we can overlay it in other drawings for QC purposes.

Attached is the Dynamo file for your reference. Create a default ceiling in the Revit model to use that as element. I am using node from Rhythm package to extract the bottom surface.
SurfaceDifferences.dyn (32.7 KB)

And below are the snips showing how one works while the other doesn’t.

Note the difference in View Properties. One shows the Analysis Display Settings.

In the picture above the Analysis Display Settings is not available.

Please advise!

Thank you!

Anyone? @Dimitar_Venkov @ikeough @Zach_Kron @Ladybug_Analysis_Too
@Konrad_K_Sobon @john_pierson @Vikram_Subbaiah

I think this has lots of potential in presenting 3d spatial data to benefit 2D coordination. Perhaps I am interested in taking this to next level. I need a little help and direction.

I tested this with the “Element Surfaces References” node from GeniusLoci package and it fixed the problem.

The problem maybe related to (1) how Face and Surface are used interchangeably (one is bounded the other is not) and (2) whether nodes return a copy of the geometries instead of the main references.

1 Like

maybe this will help:

1 Like

I had exactly the same issue, although ‘successfully’ output the ‘Revit.AnalysisDisplay.FaceAnalysisDisplay’, but there was no gradient face analysis shown in either Dynamo or Revit 3D view (the active view). Similarly, I was unable to see the “Analysis Display Settings” button under Graphics in Revit. Would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Struggled with this myself. In my case the problem had to do with the way the Surface for the node FaceAnalysisDisplay.ByViewFacePointsAndValues was selected.

Based on trial & error results, it appears the node wants the Surface delivered in a way such that it can trace it back to the parent Element. I found that the node Element.Faces was functional whereas alternatives were not. Please see below for Element.Faces and how it rings up in the system.

FaceAnalysisDisplay_Surfaces