Beams created by Geometry Intersect of curved roof

Hi, I’m creating beams that follow along the bottom surface of a plane that bends in every direction. This is based on a tutorial by Marcello Sgambelluri on Practical uses of Dynamo.

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2014/revit-for-architects/ab6557#chapter=2

Dynamo_GeoIntersect_3D

Unfortunately when I run the script, some of the beams are created on top of the roof and not below it. I used the StructuralFraming.BeamByCurve to create beams where the grids intersect the bottom roof plane. I used a Geometry.Intersect node to find the intersection between the grids and the roof.

Unfortunately, some of the beams come in with their “Cross-Section Rotation” set to -180.00° instead of zero. This appears to be a Dynamo glitch. I attempted to fix this glitch by setting all of the Cross-Section Rotations to 0, but it is not working and I’m not sure why. The warning says that there is no Parameter found by that name, which is odd considering the beams do have this parameter. I think I’m having trouble understanding how GetParameters and SetParameters work together. How do I set all of the beams’ Cross-Section Rotation to Zero, using Dynamo nodes?

CANOPY_BEAMS_usingProjection.dyn (30.0 KB)

1 Like

Yes its a bug that Dynamo team added after the class
you will need (in the mean time) to set the rotation to 0
as shown

even when they fix the bug it may be a good idea to set the rotation value anyway

1 Like

Thanks Marcello! Before I took your class I knew nothing about Dynamo or coding and I am excited by how much I have learned.

So I tried adding the SetParameterByName into the end of the script that creates the bent beams. Even thought the Cross-Section Rotation is set to 0 the beams have now all be rotated 90 degrees.
Dynamo_Beams%20lie%20flat

Oddly enough, the beams are oriented correctly at zero degrees if I run the script twice or if I run a SetParameter script independently. Do you have any idea why this is happening?
Dynamo_Beams

Great to hear my class got you started using dynamo

I think it’s a bug

The devs are working on it as I understand

1 Like