I’ve spend quite a few hours strolling the forum to find out how to find the width of a beam in Dynamo, there are a few topics that go into this, but nothing that provided a satisfying answer (it succeeded with rectangular beams, but not ones with more complicated cross sections like steel profiles).
After trying out many different ways, and failing many times i came up with something. Maybe by sharing this i can spare someone else a headache.
Here’s how you can easily find the width of a beam:
- find the curve of an element
- Get the Vector of the curve
- Get the Geometry of the desired element and rotate it’s vector to be paralel to the y-axis of the project
- Create a Bounding box from the Geometry
- Read the width of the Bounding box
Here’s a screenshot with a working sample: