Batch Creating Views From Excel

Hello!

I am working on scripts to batch create plan views from an excel spreadsheet with 141 views.

The context of this problem is that we are working on translating content from one firm’s project template to another so we need to essentially recreate a completed project entering CDs.

I am trying to write scripts that will work for transferring plan views, RCPs, elevations, sections, etc.

Starting with plans, I looked at this forum post:

http://dynamobim.org/forums/topic/create-views-by-using-excel-spreadsheets/

This forum post:

http://dynamobim.org/forums/topic/create-views-from-excel/

and I watched this video:

and this video:

I tried to put together two different scripts but neither are working out for me.

I am having a hard time finding documentation on the node FloorPlanView.ByLevel and knowing what I am supposed to input for that node to process successfully. My script keeps breaking at that point.

Any advice?

@Emily_Dunne
Hi,
Are you trying create levels from excel?

No - both the levels and the view names should come from an excel spreadsheet from the initial model.

All levels in the new model are the exact same name and placement as in the initial model.

We manually created the levels in the new model.

I want the levels in the excel spreadsheet to drive the associated level for the view during view creation.

Can you show me values of “List.map” node.

For example: View-List-Sample.xlsx (10.1 KB)

The reference script which your using is for floor plans not for area plans. If you want to use it for area plans then it is different scenario.

Understood. The initial model has all area plans instead of floor plans.

To start off, I was trying to create floorplans. I was going to move to area plans later.

Sounds good. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Here is an example on how to rename existing levels based on excel.

1 Like

I tried to simplify it by only looking at level one plans.

I think there is an issue with going from the code block node where I am trying to call out list 0 and list 1 for the view names and levels to the nodes FloorPlanView.ByLevel.

ViewList2.xlsx (12.0 KB)

Hi,
You can use “GetItemAtIndex” node instead. You can look at my graph above.

code block is working fine. What is you end goal?

1 Like

Oh! I didn’t think to look at it that way. Cool.

I had imagined that in a Revit project, with the levels created that are called out in the excel spreadsheet, that I could automate the creation of plan views in the model.

If you solved your issue mark this post as solved.