Background preview not shown in Mac with Parallels

Hi guys,

If any of you are using Dynamo/Dynamo Studio on Mac with Parallels 10, are you able to see background preview(BP)? I was able to see BP in version 8.0. When 8.1 came I could not. When 8.2 came, I was excited that now the BP might show up. Unfortunately, it’s still the same case. Any workaround or settings I need to take care of? I haven’t yet upgraded my Parallels to the new version 11 yet. I wanna make sure the BP is showing up before putting in my money.

We try to support the same level of graphics capability as Revit. For Revit, Windows 10 is not officially supported. Nor is Parallels.

Having said that, we are working on a solution that should be available shortly which may, and I stress “may” because we do not typically test on virtualized OSs like parallels, provide background preview capabilities. The problem with parallels in general is that it only supports up to DirectX 10 (when last I checked). The new visualization capabilities use DirectX 11 and there is, as of 0.8.2, no fallback to lesser capabilities or software rendering. That is why, for users using Parallels, the background preview is blank.

Hello,

I have the same problem, but 5 years later. Are you now supporting Windows 10 for parallels mac users?
Is there a way to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance

Hi @bego.rufas what version of Dynamo are you using?

Hi Michael,

I am working with DYNAMO 2.3. Find the attached screeshot.
It is the DYNAMO that comes automatically with Revit 2020.2.

Hi @bego.rufas please try installing https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (directX 10 runtime)

Hi Michael, thank you very much.
I´ve just installed it but still doesn´t work :frowning:

Thanks for your help anyway.

also make sure you’ve got directx acceleration turned on in the graphics settings for parallels.

hopefully you are using a recent version of parallels that supports dx 10 or 11.