Automating Openings and Room Data Integration in Skirting Board Generation using Dynamo

Dear Dynamo Community,

I have been developing for the automatic generation of skirting boards. I have successfully created a script that works around the boundaries of rooms, but I am facing challenges in implementing two key features: introducing openings in the skirting boards and integrating room-specific data.

1. Door/Window/… Opening in Skirting Board: I am unsure how to automate the process of creating openings within the skirting board.

2. Integration of Room Data: Another aspect I’m grappling with is how to link and integrate data from individual rooms to the corresponding skirting board. Ideally, I would like the skirting board to dynamically adapt to the unique characteristics of each room it borders.

I want to emphasize that I am relatively new to Dynamo, and I appreciate your understanding and patience with what might seem like basic questions.

Hello @Brecht and welcome to the forum…probably something here

2 Likes

Hi @Brecht,

We recently worked on a similar python script:

-For the openings (doors, …), we found that the easiest is to join the new skirting to the existing wall. Thus the new wall will replicate the openings (doors, …). This does not work if the holes were created modifying the wall profile, for those cases you can create rectangular openings in the skirting, this is a bit more tricky.
-Additionaly, you can get which type of element are on each room boundary. If you find a room separation line or curtain wall for instance, you can also ignore those boundaries as it is likely that there is no skirting on those cases.

Our python script is published in NonicaTab FREE. Feel free to also have a look!

Hello,

Thx for the reply.
This is the result. Not the same as yours.

Your solution probably only works if the Skirting board is a Wall type?

The skirting board i’m using is an line based generic model.

not sure…you are welcome to share a sample rvt…another way and should work on openings and wall edit profile…not sure if it could work for you

or

Here you can find a sample file
VDB_TestProject_SkirtingBoards_V1_231130.rvt (6.9 MB)

Hi @Brecht here is some exemple there probably could work…

2 Likes

@sovitek Thx.

This one seems to be working for me.

Is there a way to add an offset? Now the skirting boards are generated in the wall.
If i can add an offset this would be fixed.

My second question is if there is a way to add the return of the window opening?

Hi the reason you get the warning is becaurse you have some very small curves try filter them out or join them…

For offset something here maybe or do it in family…

for around the windows try you can get the small floor in the window and intersect it with the wall…or use a plane for intersect the walls…
and just play around with it…good luck

btw is there a reason you build your walls with independent wall layer instead build in in the wall and use parts instead

You can use the void generic model. It can cut multiple elements. You can first place the family and then use the element-cut node.

can’t find the script.

It is included in NonicaTab FREE available in Autodesk App Store. NonicaTab. All-In-One Flexible Revit® Toolbar. | Revit | Autodesk App Store
Once you download and install, select the set The Best of The Best and the script is called Create Wall Finish by Room.
I hope this helps