Automatic dimension of linked elements

Hi all,

I am trying to automate dimensions of linked elements.

• I am getting proper output without any errors in dynamo but in Revit I cant find the dimension.

• It doesn’t work properly with dynamo player and though dynamo if I try to run it, I need to run 2 times to get the out put. (Click run 2 times as it gives RUN started for the first click of RUN and then if I click for the second time, it will give me the result)

Its strange !! I don’t know what’s wrong with the script

The following is the dynamo graph

Automatic dimension.dyn (39.7 KB)

Hi @shashank.baganeACM,

You’re right.
There is something with the order of operations. The Convert Linked Reference node starts too early but I can’t seem to fix it.
With 2 runs, everything is going well.

Why are you hiding the created dimensions ?

2 Likes

Hay @Alban_de_Chasteigner Thanks for explaining but only I am facing the issue is like I am not able to find that dimension in Revit. I have checked with VG and everything, remaining dimensions are visible except the dimension given through dynamo. Shall I know why such kind of weird behavior I am facing :upside_down_face:?

Hi @Alban_de_Chasteigner Did you find any solution ?

As I can see the output in dynamo but it is not visible in Revit so please let me know what am I missing.

Hi @Alban_de_Chasteigner I found the issue, please correct me if I am wrong.

May be it is due to the origin of dimension. As the Dimensions Byreferences node from Genious Loci package is considering origin of dimension as x=0, y=0, z=0 but it is not the required one.

I just need your help in moving origin of dimension to the required location. Can you please tell me how I can modify the origin of dimension ?

Hi,

Can you send me a sample file (by private message if you want) with some linked elements that you would like to dimension ?

What happens when you select by Id a dimension created by Dynamo and move it a bit ?

I don’t think that is the problem.

I looked at the file you sent me and it is not possible to manually dimension your familyinstances with the dimension button in Revit.
If Revit can’t, Dynamo can’t either.
Your familyinstances must be parallel and oriented in the same way. (same reference plane in Y or X).
Once the familyinstances are correctly placed, the dimension is displayed :

So it has nothing to do with Dynamo or custom nodes.

3 Likes

Thanks @Alban_de_Chasteigner for sharing the information. I got it.