All categories and families in a Revit project

Hi All,

For an extensive project. I would like to have a view of all categories, families and types within the Revit file. For all families I would like to get the data size of the family.

Is there someone who has some experience with this?

Regards,
Marvin

A view? A plan view? 3D View? An Excel spreadsheet?

The data size of a family isn’t present within a project. And isn’t necessarily the same size as the file on your hard drive. Many elements - like walls - don’t exist outside of a project. So pretty irrelavant.

As far as getting a list of categories or a list of families and types - a quick search here will turn up plenty of resources.

Don’t bother reinventing the wheel on this one - there are free tools out there already which do the job more effectively.

https://interoperability.autodesk.com/modelchecker.php

That will do the trick for you, and can be scheduled and run in bulk. Note that extracting family size will take a long time and has no meaningful use (coming from empirical data I can’t share and personal experience from my many years in Revit).

If you need to you can look into the Autodesk Validation tool, which is a cloud version thereof for scheduled runs on your ACC/BIM360 projects.