Advantages of Dynamo?

<span id=“result_box” lang=“en”><span class=“hps”>Hi,</span> <span class=“hps”>As</span> <span class=“hps”>Dynamo</span> <span class=“hps”>works …</span> <span class=“hps”>If I make a</span> <span class=“hps”>curtain wall</span> <span class=“hps”>panels</span> <span class=“hps”>all</span> <span class=“hps”>can be documented</span>? <span class=“hps”>…</span> <span class=“hps”>Ie</span> <span class=“hps”>Revit</span> <span class=“hps”>could</span> <span class=“hps”>get</span> <span class=“hps”>me</span> <span class=“hps”>a list</span> <span class=“hps”>of the number of</span> <span class=“hps”>panels</span>, size, material, etc. … <span class=“hps”>which</span> <span class=“hps”>I could not do</span> <span class=“hps”>with a</span> <span class=“hps”>geometry</span> <span class=“hps”>imported from</span> <span class=“hps”>Rhino /</span> <span class=“hps”>Grasshopper.</span> <span class=“hps”>Sorry</span> <span class=“hps”>if it’s a</span> <span class=“hps”>very</span> <span class=“hps”>basic question</span> <span class=“hps”>but I</span>'m starting <span class=“hps”>with</span> <span class=“hps”>Grasshopper</span> <span class=“hps”>since I have</span> <span class=“hps”>not found much</span> <span class=“hps”>information</span> <span class=“hps”>Dynamo</span>. <span class=“hps”>If</span> <span class=“hps”>all that</span> <span class=“hps”>can be documented</span> <span class=“hps”>geometry</span> <span class=“hps”>would be worth</span> <span class=“hps”>making the effort</span> <span class=“hps”>and</span> <span class=“hps”>spend more</span> <span class=“hps”>time learning</span> <span class=“hps”>Dynamo</span>. <span class=“hps”>What are</span> <span class=“hps”>its advantages over</span> <span class=“hps”>Grasshopper</span>? <span class=“hps”>…</span> <span class=“hps”>If</span> <span class=“hps”>I import</span> <span class=“hps”>a new geometry</span> <span class=“hps”>of</span> <span class=“hps”>Dynamo</span> <span class=“hps”>to a project in</span> <span class=“hps”>Revit</span> <span class=“hps”>and I add</span> <span class=“hps”>all the information</span> <span class=“hps atn”>(</span>if it works <span class=“hps”>as I say</span>) <span class=“hps”>to</span> <span class=“hps”>redo</span> <span class=“hps”>any change in</span> <span class=“hps”>Dynamo</span> <span class=“hps”>would have to</span> <span class=“hps”>re-import</span> <span class=“hps”>the</span> <span class=“hps”>Revit project</span> <span class=“hps”>and</span> <span class=“hps”>would lose</span> <span class=“hps”>the information</span> <span class=“hps”>or how</span> <span class=“hps”>?? …</span></span>

Is this what you mean:

“Hi, As Dynamo works … If I make a curtain wall panels all can be documented ? … Ie Revit could get me a list of the number of panels , size, material, etc. … which I could not do with a geometry imported from Rhino / Grasshopper. Sorry if it’s a very basic question but I ’m starting with Grasshopper since I have not found much information Dynamo . If all that can be documented geometry would be worth making the effort and spend more time learning Dynamo . What are its advantages over Grasshopper ? … If I import a new geometry of Dynamo to a project in Revit and I add all the information ( if it works as I say ) to redo any change in Dynamo would have to re-import the Revit project and would lose the information or how ?? … “

Dynamo keeps track of the elements and geometry (import instances) that it places in Revit. If you create panels in Revit with Dynamo, the node in Dynamo that you use to place the panels retains the globally unique identifier (GUID) of the elements, and when changes are made later on, the instance in Revit is updated rather than re-made. Most users find this BIM-oriented workflow, unique to Dynamo, to be useful when changes are made later on.

Hi Dono,

To further add to what Colin has mentioned above. My company in particular is using Dynamo as a tool to bring over Grasshopper geometry. Currently methods used to transfer Grasshopper to Revit requires messy files such as .SAT which cause an overload of polygons to be transferred in the process. By using Dynamo we are able to export primitive point data from Grasshopper > Import into Dynamo and generate form based on points. We can then apply created families onto the forms, such as curtain panels which can then be scheduled. This is part of BIM deliverables that are a major requirement in our documentation processes.

Hey Colin is there any other way to place panels from Dynamo into Revit other than the three adaptive components tools (place by point or UV coordinates or base curve)?

Also, I assume that this works for adaptive component families as well as curtain panels (pattern-based)? I would prefer to use curtain panels over adaptive components when I’m dealing with fairly simple 4pt-based panel geometry.

Thanks for helping me to clear this up.

Hey Brian, the adaptive component placement nodes aren’t limited to generic model families, if that’s what you’re asking. You can place proper curtain panel family instances with those nodes too.

What do you want to do with pattern-based curtain panels?

I’m holding out for the Inventor integration. I guess I’d like to see a parametric control of Revit & Inventor from the same data source mostly…

Yes Inventor integration would be clutch. And/or ability to author Revit family content on the fly out of Dynamo. But that’s a whole other topic…

Colin I’m looking for ways to send mullion and panel data from Rhino/Gh at once. Panels are easy; I bring four points per panel from Grasshopper into Dynamo and create an adaptive family.

For mullion placement I’m wondering if I can intelligently query the edges of the panels to construct a grid for a curtain system, or bring in a curve-defined grid for a curtain system from Grasshopper to which I can host panels. I’m interested in what can be controlled via Dynamo for curtain systems rather than just producing point-hosted curtain panels.

Thanks!

I would like to discuss about the capacity of making complex geometry in Dynamo and in Grasshopper…I think that maybe the interface of Grasshopper is more lightweight than Dynamo, don´t you think so?..Sometimes Dynamo take so long time to create complex geometry and I think that maybe Grasshopper do it faster no? In the other hand I think that Dynamo works much better with lists, or is more confortable to work with list. What Do u think?

Javi

@JAVIER_FQG adding a comment to a discussion after a year probably not the best.

O sorry…Is better to start a new one? I will do it