Adding Parameters to Geometry

Is it possible to create a new parameter to add to a piece of geometry in Dynamo? I’d like to categorize a list of curves (they are in sublists), by giving them a new ID parameter. This allows me to connect all curves of ID = 0, ID = 1, etc.

No, but if you make family instances instead of curves this is doable.

1 Like

Hello, you can create a “Pseudoparameter” dictionary for these curves

Cordially
christian.stan

Would I be able to transform these curves into family instances? If so, how would I go about that?

How would you do it in the user interface?

I can’t really provide an automated method without seeing some degree of the specifics.

Yes. So I basically have three PolyCurves, which are then exploded into three sublists of curves.

With these curves as information, how would I create a new family which has the parameters of a curve (startpoint, endpoint) along with a new ID parameter, which is just an integer.

In this case, curves 1-2 would have ID 0, curves 3-5 would have ID 1 and curves 6-9 would have ID 2.

This helps. What would this family look like if you built it without Dynamo?

To be honest, I’m not sure what you’re asking here. If you’re asking about what the structure of the family is, it should maintain 3 parameters as mentioned above, in startpoint, endpoint and PolyCurve ID. Otherwise, my question is about how to create that family in Dynamo.

Pretend Dynamo didn’t exist, how would you author that family? FamilyType.ByGeometry might work, but not every geometry can be used in the family environment, which is why I’m probing.

ie: If all the curves are lines then a simple adaptive component with two adaptive points would be the way to go. Such a family could be manually authored once and reused for the entire data set. However this doesn’t work if your curves are more complex - your circles might take 4 points, etc.

Again, there’s something I’m still not understanding in your question. What would I even use to author such a family if Dynamo didn’t exist? By Dynamo, do you mean just the coding side of it, and the nodes are still allowed?

In my case, I am assuming my curves to strictly be lines that can move in up to (but usually not) three dimensions. I could also have a varying number of PolyCurves.

I looked at FamilyType.ByGeometry, and I’m not quite sure if that’s what I’m looking for, unless the subcategory input can be used to add in a new parameter.

If you just want to stick some information on geometry, you can use the tags dictionary.

there are LookUpTag and AddTag methods.

2 Likes

How do I find this dictionary in Dynamo? Do I have to import it as a package, or another way?