Access Data from a closed Revit file

Hi all,
I was wondering if it would be possible to access information from a closed Revit file? Basically we are building a script to audit files and pull data from specific parameters. Currently the model needs to be opened to do this, which takes some time.
Ideally it would be good i i could simply read the files from a directory and populate an excel file.
Possible?

@Andrew_Harp

I think it all depends on what data you are after.
If you are carefull and open a revit file in notepad, (do not save!!!) , there are a few lines that you are able to read. One of the things that is there is the Revit version the file was last saved in.
I once saw a node that could read this from a closed revit file.

If you want to dig in deeper, i guess you’ll have to create a new revit file and link in all the other files (with dynamo) and read the data from the links.

TIP:
create worksets with the same name as the revit links and put every link in its own workset.

Marcel

Hi,
Yes it’s possible to access information from a closed Revit file.
You can modify the Revit file, print views or do what ever you want.
You need the node “openDocument” :

1 Like

Cool, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Please could you tell me what node is it or how to ask for the revit version of a Revit file that is not opened in Revit?

@RubenVivancos
Have you done a search on the forum?
There is another way though
Open the Revit file as if it was a text file in wordpad.
You will get a few lines of readable text, and a lot of rubble.
The answer lies in those few lines you can read.
-note-
Close the file without saving, you will be in trouble if you do.

Hello, the package Orchid has a node called “File.Info” that shows for example: 2018 File as string, much simpler! Clockwork node “Application.BasicFileInfo” as well