A challenge for the Dynamo pros..... To do with shadows

Hi all,

I have to do shadow analysis and its take a long time. Is there a way of getting Dynamo to calculate the areas of shadow cast on the floor?

Please let me know if you have any ideas as I don’t know where to begin.

chris

Projecting surfaces from vertical to horizontal plan

Here’s a way to start thinking about it. ShadowCasting_ProjectOnto

Definitely some ways to make this more robust, but here’s the basic idea.

2015-10-04_2314

Zach,

your are a star, I have been told so many times that this can not be done. I will have a look at it.

Thank you

Chris

If calculating the area of shadows with the sun as the light source is the goal, you could consider using the Solar Analysis for Dynamo 0.8.2 package

File: shadowArea.dyn

20151005-2

Vikram, that looks great and I will see if I can adapt it for what I need. I will have a project which will be made up fro multiple family’s Masses ect and I would need it to do it for all of the elements at once.

Regards

Chris

Vikram, that looks great and I will see if I can adapt it for what I need. I will have a project which will be made up fro multiple family’s Masses ect and I would need it to do it for all of the elements at once.

For instance this is a project I worked on and we needed to calculate the percentage of shade cover across the site from the buildings and trees.

West

Chris, I’m quite sure you’ll be able to do what you’ve outlined.

Mine is a casual example, once you feed in the right parameters (location, weather, timeStudy, etc) I think it should be quite accurate.

The trees will have to be represented by masses, though.

Hi Chris, I’ve been watching you from the shadows… geddit :wink:

Hope you got this all sorted mate,

cheers,

Henry

Yep I have some great software that can do it