Working with Revit in Excel as in Dynamo. Asking for feedback

Hi all,
we’ve just released a new version of our free Excel plug-in for working with Revit and IFC projects.

:bowing_man:‍ We’d really appreciate it if you could take the time to test out the application and provide any feedback, suggestions, or ideas for improvement.

We’ve added some useful features we believe can improve your experience:

• Display of project geometry (similar to Dynamo) and element groups directly in Excel
  • A tool to check data completeness in Revit and IFC projects
  • A QTO tool for creating volume tables based on selected criteria

Video:
HOW TO WORK WITH REVIT AND IFC IN EXCEL
https://youtu.be/VNl4m_XMAeM

Your input would be invaluable in helping us enhance the plug-in to better serve the community. Feel free to share your thoughts here on the forum or reach out to us directly. Thank you in advance for your time and input!

7 Likes

@boikoartem ,

Nice work, is it already there to install?, particulary with the viewer…

I would like to have the button “Revit to Power BI” :wink:
I think working with the RevitFile in Excel has more performance! Revit is still doing his work on single core!

I start more and more open IFCs in Blender… Is there also a connection translating files into OpenSourceProducts… ? or vice versa?

An Idea would be also using Dynamo in Excel! or Dynamo running on Blender (or something similar)…

I see a correlation between AutdeskSolutions and the OpenSourceProgress, I like it!

KR

Andreas

3 Likes

Awesome @boikoartem

1 Like

Hi Andreas,
many thanks, yes you can download and install the app at the link:
https://opendatabim.io/index.php/product/excel-tool-odb-working-in-excel-with-revit-and-ifc/

Very cool idea about adding the PowerBI button - I’ll try putting it in and let you know the results.
Also interesting topic with back loading of changed elements through Dynamo back into the model - need to think about how that might look, too.

:man_bowing: Thanks a lot for the interesting ideas!
If you have time, try downloading and installing the plugin - I’d be happy if you find any bugs or have any more new ideas.

BR, Artem

3 Likes

chuongmep thanks. If you have time, please try to install - I will be glad to receive your comments, remarks or ideas

1 Like

This tool extends and complements the functionality which is difficult when working directly in Dynamo.
Our solution uses the same geometry mechanism as Dynamo, and our further goal is to link this table through Dynamo back to the project.
With all the data in tabular form, we can easily change and add any information to the project - and then import it back through Dynamo.

We will work through the idea, if anyone has any thoughts on this please write

2 Likes

@boikoartem ,

i checked it out but the issue is, it is limited to 100 MB … Revitfiles…

only our empty template has already 80MB …

can you calibrate this ? Revitfiles limited to 1 GB

it looks nice particulary create % regarding qualities and the integrated viewer…

for IFCs it can work when you use IfcZip Format…

KR

Andreas

1 Like

Hi Andreas…havent tried yet…but does it have limit for ifc as well ??

Hi Andreas!

Thank you for your feedback, it is very valuable to us. We are now collecting analytics on the parameters that are important for experts to make a purchase decision.

We are now thinking about increasing the Excel files we process to 200-300 Mb. and we want to make the Excel Plugin with Revit and IFC product as affordable as possible. At the same time, medium and large companies should pay for Lite or Full versions, which will give our team the ability to fund development and give more tools to users in all versions.

What do you think:

1. What versions of Revit and IFC should be in the Community version?
  2. What size limit should the Community version have?
    so that ordinary users would have enough to work with small projects and on the other hand medium and large companies, which will face restrictions and will have to pay for further development

@boikoartem ,

that brings me to the idea up and downgrade versions of IFC and RVT via Excel…? I think thats to complex…
but you would have a good business…

At Least Revit 2022 and IFC4 i would say …

KR

Andreas

1 Like

Andreas, thank you very much, and in terms of size?

@boikoartem ,

i can just talk from my perspetive, my IFCs have around in my current project between 100 MB - 150 MB.

Revit… is around 1.3 GB after cleaning 700 MB…

with such a file(s) i would make my test in excel.

KR

Andreas

1 Like

Hi Andreas,
sorry there was a “necessary technical” pause. Transferred the development of the converter to the new DataDrivenConstruction.io platform.

The free version for Revit 2015-2022 and IFC2x3 can be downloaded without registration from the website DataDrivenConstruction.io or through this post.

Now there are no restrictions on the number of files and sizes :raising_hand_man:

1 Like

What data can be extraxted from Revit with the program? Is about instance/type parameters of certain category element instances?

Hi Ruben,
thanks, we get everything from all the elements. At some points, we get even more than we can extract with the tools inside Revit.

This is a full data dump from Revit: element information is stored in two-dimensional dataframe (the most popular format for working in data analytics, data engineering and big data), and the geometry of all elements is stored in open triangular DAE-XML format (one of the most popular formats for working with geometry). Without internet, API connections, without Forge and plugins. This is a fully legitimate data tool, similar to those used by companies like Graphisoft and Siemens, and is now accessible to everyday users.

To download the converter, no need to register on the site, just download and unzip, and get data for one project or for several thousands of projects in Revit or IFC formats offline and without opening Revit.

Please post any questions you may have!

1 Like

Hi Andreas,
new plugin to work with Revit, AutoCAD and IFC in Excel now without file size limitations.

Converting data from closed, proprietary formats to more publicly available formats or splitting mixed CAD (BIM) formats into geometric and meta-information data simplifies the process of working with them, making them more accessible for analysis, manipulation and integration with other systems

:milky_way: This enables professionals to shift from processing CAD (BIM) models in a mixed format, which involves using specialized software, to a data-centric approach. The latter primarily emphasizes the use of open data and open tools.

:inbox_tray: Direct link to download the free plugin for Excel: https://datadrivenconstruction.io/?sdm_process_download=1&download_id=2414
:link: More about the app and the plugin feature DDC Excel plugin for working with Revit, IFC and DWG - DataDrivenConstruction.io | Revolutionizing Construction with Data

:computer: Video - Unleash the power of your CAD (BIM) data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leDt4I8uuJI

1 Like

Whilst I’m not 100% on dumping BIM into Excel, just wanted to say this has come along way and you’ve made some fantastic examples on use cases that validate the merit of this. Great work. I will try to set some time aside to try it out.

1 Like

@GavinCrump, thank you :man_bowing:
I’m not a big fan of Excel myself. Initially my goal was to bring data from BIM formats into 2x DataFrame (the most popular data format in big data, analytics and machine learning pandas download stats). But since the DataFrame topic is complicated for builders - I’m showing how to work with CAD (BIM) formats in Excel.

Inside Revit sits SQLlite, which can be accessed either through several layers of APIs from Autodesk or through reverse engineering tools, as in my case.

Since almost all SQL-like databases exchange information via CSV (untidy XLSX) format, which is relatively difficult for the average construction industry professional to process - so I chose Excel, which has become such a quasi-PoC for working with CAD (BIM) in a two-dimensional DataFrame space.

I tackled the complex topic of DataFrames and generally data in construction in my book “DataDrivenConstruction” (now only in paper form at first) and will soon be available for free electronically: Books & News - DataDrivenConstruction.io | Revolutionizing Construction with Data

Many thanks @GavinCrump Gavin - please post any criticism, any comments or questions on the subject of plugins or converters. Will be extremely grateful to you for any feedback :raised_hands:

1 Like