When performing acoustic analysis with the SpaceAnalysis package, is it possible to obtain values relative to the sound source?

In this post, I found that the SpaceAnalysis package represents the value of an arbitrary point relative to the sound source. (This was during an acoustic analysis.)
Is there a way or functionality in Dynamo to get the relative value of this arbitrary point?

I am thinking that with this functionality, even if we don’t know the true decibel number, we can find out the decibel number of the observed point by calculating the ratio of the relative value to the observed point. I am also wondering if it would be possible to create a legend for the output of the results.

The value won’t be accurate. Sound is far more complex than ratio of a value relative to the original. This is why the research team set decibel values as our of scope.

Thanks for the reply.
My interpretation of the sentences you answered,
The calculation of the ratio is more complicated than I thought, and it is not something that can be solved by using the ratio calculation in a linear fashion.
Is it correct?

Also, what is your basis for assuming that the results of the acoustic analysis using this package are reliable?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Correct.

The noise will be relatively quieter as you get further from a source, but not linearly or by a means which has a simple calculation due to the reflection of sound waves.

The package relies on the fact that as sound travels it gets quieter, and so the further the sound must travel from the source the quieter it will be. How much quieter isn’t quantified, but that this point is quieter than that point by this relative amount is.

1 Like

I had asked two questions in my first post. I would like to have these answered as well.
Is there a way or functionality in Dynamo to get the relative value of arbitrary point?

The ‘display values of the audibility grid’ portion of this sample graph should do just that.

Thanks for the reply.
I have checked the places you mentioned.

I’m going to use the script you showed in this post as an example.
The node “AudibilityGrid.Points” used in this script gives the coordinates of the acoustic analysis of a point at the point,
The node “AudibilityGrid.Values” represents the relative value of each point (a number that represents how much the point is weighted).
And these serial numbers from 1 to 59620 are common.

SpaceAnalysis_sound.dyn (145.3 KB)

Is this understanding correct?

Correct - the AudibilityGrid.Values node is the relative value. 0 (assumed inaudible) is quieter than 10 is quieter than 20 is quieter than 2000. I am not sure of the upper limit.

Thanks for the reply.

This is about the point you analyzed.
I found that two pieces of information are given to this point, the serial number and the coordinates.
From this, I can either ask how to get the coordinates of the analyzed point (how is the origin, x-axis, y-axis determined?) or how to put the serial number (from where to 1,2,3…)?

We believe that once we know that, we can read information about any given point.

I believe the coordinates are from the global coordinate system. Best to build a test graph to decipher it on your own.

I am not sure what the serial number you are referring to is.

Thanks for the reply.

I did not explain well enough.
What I was describing as serial numbers is what is shown in the image, both listings are numbered from 0.(Text written in white rectangle)

I meant that I would like to know what rules are used to name these numbers.

No rules actually - it’s just the order in which they were generated and stored, and that should be irrelevant to your study. Those numbers (the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4) are the indexes of the list of points or values. You can read more about lists here: What's a List | The Dynamo Primer

And check out the Dynamo office hour on the topic here: 04 - Lists and Data Structures in Dynamo - YouTube

Thanks for the reply.
I understand that the serial numbers on the list are irrelevant to the study.
I will also study the list at the URL you shared.
Thank you for teaching me.

1 Like