Updating all families nested in host families in a folder

The following script only updates each nested family with the same specific family in the specified folder.

In my case, all families host different families. How do I modify this script to allow me to update all different embedded families?
According to the video I built this script from, he mentioned the more complex script would need to do these steps :

1. Opening the documents
  2. Checking all the nested families
  3. Checking their name back on a directory to see which file path that family sits at if any
  4. Reloading using subsists and levels.

Video: Bulk reload nested Revit families using Dynamo! - YouTube

I don’t know how I would script those steps. ;_; Since I am a new user, I cannot upload any attachments. Thank you for any help!!

Heya,

So, unfortunately this isn’t the easiest if you are new to Dynamo.

It is also a bit dangerous, because if your graph breaks between the ‘open’ and ‘close’ nodes, the files will remain open in memory… Obviously this can build up if you keep running the graph and open more and more of them, you could probably crash Revit.

I would start by making 1 simple family with 1 nested family in a simple project*, then when you get that working, try 2 families with 2 nested families, and build up the complexity step by step.

Here is something that does a bit of what you’re describing, if you get stuck I would read the Dynamo Primer and search forum posts :slight_smile:

Best of luck,

Mark

*all of which you don’t mind destroying utterly

2 Likes

Hello Mark, thank you for you reply!

I tried to test it for a generic family inside a nest family. It saves a new family but it does not update the family. I’m frankly confused, do you have an idea of root of the mistake? Your script seems to make sense to me.

I appreciate the time you took for the reply, thanks again!!

STEP 2. (Construction) Bulk update generic families in nested families.dyn (55.7 KB)
TEST NEST FAMILY 1.rfa (2.0 MB)
TEST GENERIC FAMILY 1.rfa (1.9 MB)

1 Like