Trying to sort all the lines in a C3D drawing into new layers by their color

I’m taking on a large project, and am more than willing to work my way through the learning curve, but I would like to request some assistance getting underway.

I am creating a tool that will take an incoming drawing, select all of the lines in the drawing and change them to newly-created layers based off of their color. From there I’ll be moving the next, more intensive processes, but any assistance getting underway would be very welcome!

The overall workflow, for extra clarification, will be something close to this:
A) As described above, check every line in the current drawing and sort them onto new layers by color
B) Based on the layer of each line in the drawing, create an alignment out of the line
C) Along each alignment, insert a point at predetermined intervals. (For extra clarity, we will be provided profiles for each layer/color which will dictate at which interval there needs to be a point.)
D) Analyze each point against four different surfaces, which will be pre-generated with standardized names
E) Generate an Excel spreadsheet highlighting which points do not meet the provided specifications

I’m not looking for someone to help write the whole thing, though! Just would appreciate some help getting started with the top portion of this post.

Thanks so much!

Hi and Welcome to the forum.
Have you read the primer, I think that could be a good start. Then try out to select all objects in the dwg and get their colors, I asume that they has color set to them and not color by layer.

To be able to help you I think you need to upload some kind of example dwg. How is the layers named in the file, is it only lines, no curves or polylines?

Also, please upload your graph and we will try to help you from the point where you get stuck.
KR,
Patrick

Greetings, and thank you for the welcome!

I attempted to attach a sample drawing to this reply, containing an example of what I’m working with, but since I am a new user that seems to be against the rules. I set it to be shareable through my OneDrive here: https://shorturl.at/otRV1 . A few items of note: The files we’re working with will have many times more polylines, all on the same layers with the only thing differentiating them being the colors. My intention is to sort them onto newly-created layers, one color per layer. Any advice for how to get underway would be appreciated!

Thanks very much.

Hola amigo @dallen_Bowman buenas. i let you a generic workflow to filter and grouping any kind of object type by any propertis or concept that you want, also the way to reasign the layer of the objects.

There are also a node that normally should work as filter, but i never used probably you should take a look.
Objects by propertie

As an extra advice, sort and group items there are diferent proces, take a look at dynamo primer that will helps you to become a strong user :sunglasses: