Toposolid detail limited 10000 points

Toposolids seem to max out at 10000 points. What happens if you have retaining walls in your surveys? Anyone have any ideas? quite hard to isolate points to critical locations to reduce unnecessary points, unless theres an easier way to do this?

Other idea is maybe editing toposolid to snap to curves to clean up location but this would be to difficult for me.

# Load the Python Standard and DesignScript Libraries
import sys
import clr

clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *
from Autodesk.Revit.DB.Architecture import *
import System.Collections.Generic
from System.Collections.Generic import List

clr.AddReference('RevitNodes')
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)

clr.AddReference('RevitServices')
from RevitServices.Transactions import TransactionManager
from RevitServices.Persistence import DocumentManager

from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *

# The inputs to this node will be stored as a list in the IN variables.
dataEnteringNode = IN
points = UnwrapElement(IN[0])
topoID = ElementId(UnwrapElement(IN[1]))
level =  ElementId(UnwrapElement(IN[2]))

# Place your code below this line
doc = DocumentManager.Instance.CurrentDBDocument

TransactionManager.Instance.EnsureInTransaction(doc)
pts = []
for i in points:
    pts.append(i.ToRevitType())
Toposolid.Create(doc, pts, topoID, level)

TransactionManager.Instance.TransactionTaskDone()

# Assign your output to the OUT variable.
OUT = 0

Typically we break the topo into zones/areas, and then we use actual walls for retaining walls manually afterwards. For dealing with the point limit we often re-process/split the topography in Rhino prior where the contour feature can rebuild the topo for us to take into Revit.

Toposolids have some nice new features, but we’re not finding them a clean replacement in all aspects so far. Generally I’ll take them over toposurfaces though.

1 Like

Jumped into Rhino and had some fun for the first time. Pretty cool.

splitting the topo in rhinos a good idea to get better processing in critical areas with a toposolid. Theres no merge function in revit after though. Would you join them after created in Revit?

1 Like

Might want to try Civil 3D for this as well. Capable to split and you’ll get a bunch more tools optimized for topography in particular. Oh and if your project is in ACC you can take advantage of the link topography tool as well.

Thanks Jacob. Just trying to workout some new workflows for more basic sites in architecture for anyone to get on with in Revit when you get the odd retaining wall or steep slope on a site. Will keep in mind though. Creating contours in Rhino and isolating heavy sloped areas works pretty well and fast enough.

Happy birthday too mate! hope you have a great day

1 Like

Typically we keep the zones intentionally split up into areas where we know scope of works will differ. So we might break out areas beyond property boundary, or split at kerb lines etc. and keep them apart intentionally.

I had an idea. Model a rough mass or something around retaining walls or steep slopes of your survey. Get all your points of your more detailed topo in dynamo with points along a survey curve. Clash the points inside the mass. Then use a formula to remove ones from the non detailed area and keep more where you need it.

Think this is it. Still isnt as good as normal topos but better result if you have more complex places. uses a sort of percentage of the 10000 points to the intersected locations Using Rhino and creating closer contours instead of a tin works better too.

Forgot the IF statement if you dont choose a mass in this

I really like that Dynamo geometry image!