Topography to polysurface creates elements at wrong location

I have a large topography set that I’m breaking down into several surfaces and then want to convert to polysurface to use in Dynamo.

I’ve used 2 nodes from the library: TopoToPoly_3 and Topography.Polysurface and in both cases the newly created surface ends up at a different location from the original topography. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong as both nodes require no parameters. Just Select Model Element for input and output to ImportInstance.ByGeometries.

Thanks.

Please post a screenshot of your graph and the resulting output. Hard to see what is wrong without a bit more info.

Here it is. Of course, I’m running each graph separately.

Can you tell us what package those nodes are in?

Use the OOTB node Topography.Mesh and use springnodes Mesh.ToPolysurface. Way better than all the alternatives.

1 Like

TopoToPoly_3 is from the package TopoToPoly V0.9.4 while Topography.Polysurface is from the package Topography.Polysurface V0.90.1.

While this approach seemed much faster, although tested on a small area, the result still ends up in a different location than the original data :neutral_face:

Then I guess you have to send us an example to work with! :slight_smile: or maybe try the import nodes in spring nodes as well, they sometimes work better.

I will upload a sample of my data but meanwhile, could you shed some more light on the import nodes in Spring nodes? I only found Springs.DirectShapeByGeometry but couldn’t figure out how to use it. If you know of a simple graph I could look at to get me in the right direction, that would be great.

The newly created surfaces had their units in feet while the project’s units were in meters! :astonished:
Setting the project units to decimal feet created the surfaces in the right place. Don’t understand why this is happening but at least the issue is solved.