Three types of dynamo script

If you plan to disseminate by using “best practice” reports, then it will end up on a shelf… companies that don’t provide a “sourdough” for the evolution of techniques and methods will experience computational design and many other new things as fads… although they could move their business by leap jumps

What I mean, bring people together in groups, let them exchange knowledge, let them work on improvements… set them out and let them implement it on projects. Most important, bring them back again to do it all over again. This is how a “sourdough” works, always keep a core for further bread, add new material, bake the next bread, keep a core…

@JacobSmall Yes, as I suspected! I find it intriguing that most firms have had procedures in place for decades re: 2D/3D CAD and more recently BIM – but anything to do with code seems to be relegated to the digital ‘sketch’ category. The issue is that most using tools like Dynamo are ‘designer’s rather than ‘professional developers’. So, like myself, ‘amateur programmers’ as in Robert Woodbury’s benign definition – I’m currently re-reading ‘Elements of Parametric Design’ for inspiration.

@erfajo I think the ‘sourdough’ analogy is apt – but the concern is a situation where the ‘catalyst base’ is copy/pasted because ‘it works’ and the reasons for its specific internal structure have been lost.

I guess ‘wheel reinvention’ is a reasonable justification for keeping the employment rate high!
Hopefully, A.I. algorithms won’t get too ‘clever’ in the foreseeable future.

I agree that there is a tendency to copy/paste not knowing what goes on… but I see also an increasing awareness in my surroundings among companies that people matter.

I try to walk the way myself. The students I have on their final projects or special courses do I keep very close to me. They can grab a free desk in the office space in close relation to where I am placed. I try to implement this ‘open thinking’ process where we all contribute in evolving ideas and methods.

That has been going on for some years now. To my pleasure, I notice that many of my former students have had success in implementing this idea in the companies they end up working in afterwards. So now, when I meet managers from companies they proudly tell me about this new concept that looks very familiar to me.

Bring people together, let them learn by peer-to-peer training. Trust them when they work on their own, but most important bring them back again from time to time.

Having knowledge disseminated by ‘dusty’ papers will kill everything, use cultural carriers instead :slight_smile:

Great explanation, thank you @erfajo!

We are documenting Dynamo graph process for end user.
And most of the graphs are Class A (per @David_Duarte), and to be run through Dynamo Player.
When you hover over the play button, in player, it reads “run Script”, not graph.
That might be where this misunderstanding comes from :slight_smile:
Now, we are tended to call for Scripts in our documents, not to confuse the end users.
Hope it will be fixed in Player and say, as in Dynamo, “Run Workflow”
Capture

I am not aware when things began to be mixed up. It looks to me as the entry of Autodesk employees has raised to a number where also people who don’t understand the concept has arrived. This goes also for the community as such.

in the “good old days” was it a graph consisting of nodes connected by wires, now it is apparently a very blurry understanding which ends up as scripting which doesn’t see the difference between textual scripting and graphical (visual) coding or processing as I would prefer to call it. Processing is a name in line with graphs, while coding is more in line with scripting!?

The end of it is, that I will keep on insisting that we “talk” about graphs and not scripting unless it is textual coding… and then can all other call it what thy will. As long as we all understand what it is, then it isn’t really that big a problem :slight_smile: