Tagging Glass for Edge Profiles

Hey all, this is something i have been racking my brain on for a while now.

A little bit of back story might help to make what i’m looking for make sense. My company makes Interior glass partitions and we realised a while ago that our glass supplier charges us a lot of money to have all the sides of our glass panels edged to the profile we need to fit into different mullions. To help offset the cost of this we implemented a system where we would go though each panel in a project and decide based on 3 choices , 0 edges /1 edge / 2 edges, would that panel need edged. We have been doing this by hand and its been slow and painful as our projects get bigger and bigger.

The question is… Can Dynamo look at what mullions are adjacent to a piece of glass and based on that choose what edge profile is needed.

the quick example I can give is.

E1 is one side edged E2 is two sided edged.

There is a small piece of poly carbonated between each piece of glass (its set up as a mullion in a curtain wall system) when there is one touching a piece of glass its an E1. If there are two piece of poly carbonate touching its an E2.

I believe this is possible based on proximity to a mullion. This assumes your vertical mullions are consistent and you’re modeling your butt joints as another consistent mullion type. Can you upload a sample file to test the logic on?

1 Like

testwall.rvt (2.5 MB)

here is a sample of a wall front.

Hi @mikea , your inquiry should be simple enough using Clockwork’s Element.Panels (to filter out doors) with the OOTB node CurtainPanel.SupportingMullions (to filter the panels based on their supporting mulltion types), however it becomes more complicated as it seems your Curtain Wall type does not use a grid layout, rather it is set to have a separate curtain wall type with a grid layout as one single panel.

What’s the reason for setting the curtain panel to a separate curtain wall with a grid layout, rather than having the Curtain Wall include the layout itself?

The reason is the “mullion” break between each of the glass panels. Every time you add a vertical break in the horizontal mullion at the top and bottom break as well. e.g. instead of one 10’ length you may get three 3.3’ lengths on your schedule. When I do a bill of materials having 40 3’ lengths doesn’t do me any good i need to know the “true” lengths. This was the work around I came up with that has worked very well so far.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense. Honestly not sure if there is a better work around than that for in-Revit calculations.

The workflow I described above does work if using Select Model Element and tabbing to select the nested wall (curtain panel), so I think you’d have to go wall-by-wall (would be a good script for the Dynamo player), but it’d still be faster than CTRL+ selecting, unpinning and changing out each panel as you have been doing in Revit alone.

The set up you have for the mullion types works well for filtering the panels by adjacent mullions, so to answer your question, yes it is possible. :slight_smile:

1 Like