System.IO.FileLoadException errors

Hi

I realise this has been raised a few times already and @Konrad_K_Sobon has blogged about it, but is there any fix to the DLL hell?

I have 6 System.IO.FileLoadException errors which I want to eliminate as I think they might be causing graphs to crashing. These are the packages I have installed and I’m running Revit 2018 and Dynamo 2.0

///
While loading assembly archilab, Version=2018.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, Dynamo detected that the dependency RevitAPI, Version=19.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null was already loaded with an incompatiable version. It is likely that another Revit Addin has loaded this assembly, please try uninstalling other Addins, and starting Dynamo again. Dynamo may be unstable in this state.

///
While loading assembly BimorphNodes, Version=3.0.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, Dynamo detected that the dependency RevitAPI, Version=19.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null was already loaded with an incompatiable version. It is likely that another Revit Addin has loaded this assembly, please try uninstalling other Addins, and starting Dynamo again. Dynamo may be unstable in this state.

//
While loading assembly MonocleViewExtension, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, Dynamo detected that the dependency Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock, Version=3.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3e4669d2f30244f4 was already loaded with an incompatiable version. It is likely that another Revit Addin has loaded this assembly, please try uninstalling other Addins, and starting Dynamo again. Dynamo may be unstable in this state.

//
While loading assembly Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock, Version=3.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3e4669d2f30244f4, Dynamo detected that the dependency Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock, Version=3.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3e4669d2f30244f4 was already loaded with an incompatiable version. It is likely that another Revit Addin has loaded this assembly, please try uninstalling other Addins, and starting Dynamo again. Dynamo may be unstable in this state.

@john_pierson @Thomas_Mahon

Start by unloading all of your your Revit add-ins to confirm its one of them causing this dependency overlap. It’s likely the case but best to start with the full removal of all of them - vanilla Revit only mode. Then boot up Revit and Dynamo, and see if you get the error. If so confirm you still have no addins by checking the Revit UI.

If you can confirm no add-ins and the issue persists, report back with the Dynamo log and a Revit journal.

If you find that the issue stops after removing all addins, then we are onto the ‘narrow in on the cause’ phase of trouble shooting. I like to do this as a Binary search, and add the first half of the add-ins back into Revit. Launch again and if no errors then you know it’s in the second half. Add the first half of the remaining add ins and try again, and again, always adding or removing half of remainder until you find it.

RE: Monocle. Dynamo uses an older version of Xceed Toolkit. So I think I can mitigate that warning by using the same version. Although, I believe the warning can be ignored because I’m using methods that exist in both versions of that toolkit.

3 Likes

Hi Paul

That warning from BimorphNodes (and ArchiLab) simply means the API you have access to (2018) is older than the one these packages were built on. You can dismiss/rule out this as the cause of your problem since:

1. BimorphNodes handles backwards compatibility for you and will switch to older versions of the API when it needs to.
  2. Even if there is no backwards compatibility, the worst that can happen is a node throwing an exception if it makes a call to a method in the Revit 2019 API which is not present in the API available at run-time.

You might need to monitor what seems to trigger the crash, and use that process to isolate the offending package (assuming this is the cause) as Dynamo doesn’t appear to be reporting the real culprit in the file load exceptions.

2 Likes

I agree, the RevitAPI warnings can largely be ignored -

When Dynamo crashes do you see a stack trace?

1 Like

@Michael_Kirschner2 not sure what a stack trace is or where to find it.

I suspect the problem is related to this: Infinite loop crashing Dynamo

1 Like

I agree with guys above. Revit API warnings are not an issue, and the worst can happen is specific node throwing an exception when it cannot find the method it was calling.

@john_pierson Xceed can be fixed by downgrading his version to match that of what Revit/Dynamo uses out of the box.

Cheers!

-K