Stacked Wall's Sub-Wall being changed on instance basis instead of type

Hi, I’m trying to figure out how to modify a stacked wall type’s sub wall. That is, i want to be able to modify the basic walls used in a specific Stacked wall type.

Using GeniusLoci Get Wall Member node (as referenced in below topic) I’ve been able to find and change the ‘instance’ of a stacked wall’s sub wall. Problem is that only that instance shows the new subwall type. When I look at the wall Type properties it’s still showing the original subwall type.

I’m trying to find how to change the subwall for the entire stacked wall type.
It seems quite strange to me that I can have an instance of placed stacked wall type “553-FCSheet” but the subwalls don’t match their stacked wall type settings.
e.g. If I place a new stacked wall 553-fc sheet it will revert to the timber subwall not the brick that I want.

I’m hesitant to use this approach as I will leave instances of stacked walls in my model that have manually changed subwalls not matching their parent stacked wall type. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Can Dynamo create a new stacked wall or modify a stacked wall make-up?

Attached (simplified) graph showing how I’ve changed the subwall instance,

Would love to be able to change in the Type property instead
Modify Stacked Wall Sub Wall.dyn (16.0 KB)

Hi,

I don’t believe the API allows that, unfortunately… I think your solution is very neat, but as you say, it’s not an ideal workflow.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank-you for the reply. It’s a little dissapointing to have it confirmed but I suspected that was the case, due to the lack of info on anybody doing similar workflow. I have to say I absolutely love how much info is shared/available on these forums. It’s such a huge help to newbies like me!

In your opinion do you think it could be a serious concern if I did adopt that process?
(The graph would end up being run on thousands of House Master files, which in turn will be processed by numerous other dynamo graphs in their lifespan, and also other revit automation tools outside of dynamo that the company uses from time to time.)

My big concern is that the instance of the wall has been altered to not match it’s type properties. I still don’t understand how that loophole exists! :face_with_monocle:

If the Wall needs to change later, (manually or programatically) I would hate for unsual things to start happening because of this

1 Like

Hi,

If you’re a NOOB you’re a very talented one, I hope you stick with us :slight_smile:

Yes, as a Project Architect, I would be very worried if instances do not match their Type…

But I am not you or your company :slight_smile: and perhaps in your workflow the advantages of automation is worth the risk? It is likely that there are other limitations to the API which you will have to work around.

I guess it would depend on your team structure and communication, if everyone understands how everything works, you might deem it to be manageable.

Personally, I would try and explain the situation to someone pretty senior and get them to make the decision!

Hope that helps,

Mark

Hey Mark,

Kind words, I appreciate that :slight_smile:

Also thank-you for the advice. Will see how we go eh!
Cheers

1 Like