Set family type reference plane/ insertion point in Dynamo

Dear All,
I have been trying to create a family type within the revit project file without loading it from an external file. The Node which I am using to create the family is “FamilyType.ByGeometry”. There is no way to set a reference plane through this node, which I would need to distribute the family instances in the model. I have however managed to create two intersecting reference planes, whereas the intersection being the insertion point. How can I apply these two reference planes to my family type? Is this even possible directly in the project environment? For the sake of data management I want to avoid creating separate family files. Attached is a screen grab of my script.
Thanks for your help and input.

When creating a screen grab of your graph, please zoom, in more because currently it doesn’t show the names of the nodes.

I have now split up my code. I create the family in a separate family file and then load it into the project file. It does not seem to be possible to set the insertion point of a family with Dynamo. I had to move it with revit. Any ideas on that?

We still can’t see what’s going on in your graph so…

When I create an instance, the insertion point is not the origin point, but the left bottom corner of the geometry.

1 Like

Hi @PAnand,

I experienced something similar when creating families with this node from imported SAT files.
As far as i remember the new family instances were placed correctly in the project environment (origin of the sat files at the origin (0,0,0) of the project).
But inside the newly created families the origin of the sat files was not placed at the origin (0,0,0) of this family.
Maybe @Dimitar_Venkov can shed a little light on this one ?

Kind regards,
Mark

The built in node doesn’t automatically place an instance for you, for that you should use a recent version of spring nodes and the “FamilyInstance.ByGeometry” node.

Internally, both nodes work in the same way but the springs node will shift the geometry closer to the family’s origin and then compute the coordinates necessary to place it in the correct place in the project environment.

1 Like

Hi @Dimitar_Venkov,

Thanks a lot for your response now i know the difference between the nodes mentioned above.

Just outta curiosity, would it technically be possible to place (the origin of) the imported geometry exact at the origin of the family ? In case of importing geometry from a SAT file.

Hi @Dimitar_Venkov, would there be a possibility to make it work in the family file as well?

I’d need to tweak it a bit to work inside a family environment. The Form.ByGeometry node might be faster and better suited for your need.