Separate Dimension String into individual dimensions - possible?

Hi All,

Do any of you know if it is possible to take string of dimensions (shown in a picture below) and separate them into individual dimensions?

I couldn’t find anything on this topic in my searches so I am hoping your combined brainpower can help.

Thanks in advance!

I have found a way to do this after further testing. The graph isn’t complete yet as I will be adding data-shapes functionality as well as a function to remove the existing dimension but here is what I have so far.

It requires you to select the dimension and a line as a reference to where you want to dimension to be placed. Rhythm has a GetCurve node for finding the line of a dimension but it doesn’t work with multi-segmented dimensions so it is useless for this graph. If anyone knows a way to get a line from a multi-segment dimension, please let me know.

1 Like

Here is the final working version. It incorporates options to delete the existing dimension and the location line.

3 Likes

Just a quick note…I am finding that this graph is not working for all element types so it is still a work in progress. Just a heads up. I will repost when I get it working the way it should work. :slight_smile:

Multi-segment works in the latest version of Rhythm.

1 Like

@john_pierson

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I am updating it right now to try it out.

While I have you, I have two questions for you:

1. I posted an issue on your github, check it out when you have some time (ok that wasnt a question).
  2. The Rhythm node for Dimension.GetReferenceElements seems to work well for providing Reference Elements to the Dimension.ByElements node when they are lines or grids. It doesnt work when they are elements like columns/footings/etc. I assume that this is because there are multiple places on a column where a dimension can be referenced to. Any idea how I might grab the dimensions reference point on an object like a column and translate that into something that the Dimension.ByElements can use?

Thanks!

1 Like