Revit model Starting View

Hello!

Is there any way to use Dynamo to set the Revit Starting View to a sheet? You can set it to a sheet through the Revit interface, so I figured it would be possible with Dynamo.

I’ve gotten it as far as plugging the desired sheet into the SetStartingView node, but it tells me it’s expecting a View, not a Sheet.

Thanks!
Adam

Where is the Documents.SetStartingView from?

For the Rhythm version it expects and Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document which can be achieved this way.

John, thanks, this worked great. I had a similar set up using built in nodes, but it still didn’t find the right input format. Any insight as to why the third party nodes work better?

Thanks again!

In your above example, the only issue on the first one is the Document.Current Node. I outline the reason below.

The OOTB Document nodes return an element of the type, Revit.Application.Document this works for all the out of the box nodes because it represents the current Revit document, (which is how Dynamo was always meant to run).

Custom nodes (like Rhythm) use the underlying Revit API representation of Documents, Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document.
This is by design and for 2 reasons:

1. The Dynamo team gave developers no way to use the wrapper for Revit.Application.Document on our own nodes to reveal the underlying Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document.
  2. By using the Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document this allows us to use files that are opened in the background. I found out about that a few years ago when I was building family upgraders. The Revit API allows you to load a file in memory with no change in the UI visible to the user. It’s pretty neat! But dangerous and not supported in Dynamo fully.

Further adding to this complexity is the fact that some package developers (that I will not name here), decided to wrap the Document in their own versions. This makes it way more difficult as that made it to where their nodes only work with their own nodes and not anyone else’s.

Using the Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document this allows us to “play nice together” as package developers and use the built-in Revit API mechanisms.

4 Likes

Thanks again John! Shoot - I just realized I completely mistitled this post. Is there a way to edit it? I couldn’t find a way…

I can do that, tell me what you want.
@john_pierson can do it too, just seem more appropriate for him, since he helped out.

Wonderful, thank you Marcel! I’ve added my edits to this image. Thank you for clearing this up

I can only edit the subject, sorry

1 Like

Better than nothing - thanks again!

1 Like

Apologies - Revit model Starting View, not Project Browser Organization

1 Like