Replacing Orchid with ootb nodes

Hello everyone,

Recently I created a Dyn script that gets a list of all the walls in a linked model and using a UI, the user is able to pick box what wall types they want to add into a “ARCH - WALLS OFF” view filter.

Recently I’d learned about some possible security issues that comes with the Orchid package. I’d like to still have the same script and completely remove Orchid. I’ve tried researching as much as I could but the only topics I’d find were “adding filters to views, adding 1 filter to a view, or creating 1 filter”. Nothing related to adding onto an existing filter. I’m also a novice when it comes to coding as well unfortunately.
The models I’ve added are ootb templates as well. I added the “ARCH - WALLS OFF” filter into level 1 and level 2 as off.
Is it possible to do the Orchid portion with python?

Thanks for helping if you can,

KP

Linked Walls_R21.rvt (7.9 MB)
Main Model_R21.rvt (7.9 MB)

Currently the script uses Data-Shapes, Orchid-Revit Project, BimorphNodes, and Rhythm.
Add Walls To Walls Off Filter.dyn (44.8 KB)

2 Likes

@jacob.small, Is there any hopes for this one? I’ve decided this weekend I’m getting back into C# and I just need to make the grind till I’m able to be a better resource for my company as well as the community.

Certainly hope - but we have a holiday here in Sweden so I am away from my laptop, and am at a summit next week meeting my teammates, so I am not sure when I’ll have time to jump on this.

I appreciate it, honestly just knowing it might be solvable is a relief. This process would take anywhere from 20min to 1hr out of setting a model up.
Happy holiday as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to do the Orchid portion with python?

Yes :slight_smile: Everything you need to do, you can do in Python.

If you like the flexibility and speed of working in Dynamo, then you don’t have to go off to C# to get that functionality :slight_smile: You can also dig around in those custom nodes to look at the python which has been written.

If you know a little C# that is very helpful as that’s what the API examples are written in…

Here is a resource full of python examples:

Hope that helps,

Mark

3 Likes

Thanks Mark,
I’ve actually looked at trying to do the Design Script and get a better understanding to use it to swap the Orchid nodes for the last 4 or so hours but no luck. I don’t have much experience in that realm, I’m primarily a node user.
C# is the ultimate goal in the end.
I’ll check into the python and see what I can find :slight_smile: Time to chase the white rabbit.

To add to the fun even more, Dynamo 2.13 (Revit 2023+) is going to screw over any Dynamo graph that is made with 2021, unless you install the DynamoIronPython package.

Neat.

2 Likes

Fixed :slight_smile:

I even removed all dependency except Data-Shapes from the graph.

Add Walls To Walls Off Filter.dyn (44.5 KB)

3 Likes

I’ve already been tracking on that. I’ve made sure DynamoIronPython is sticking around a little bit longer for now at least. :sweat_smile:

Tested it and it works perfectly, now to dissect it this weekend and see why I wasn’t able to come close to that solution.

1 Like