Reading IFC parameter values from Dynamo / Assigning external data to IFC user-defined parameters using Dynamo

I downloaded Bakery package in Dynamo . I have a question about Read from IFC node. The inputs are ifcFilePath and ifcSchemaFileEXP. ifcFilePath is clear and it’s our IFC file path. But could u please tell me what ifcSchemaFileEXP is?

My second question is that how can we automatically or manually assign data to the IFC parameter in Dynamo? For example if we created a user defined ifcpropertyset with its parameters. how can we assign values from text file or excel file to the IFC parameters? Thank u so much in advance

Hi @MOJTABA256 [quote=“MOJTABA256, post:1, topic:9463”]
could u please tell me what ifcSchemaFileEXP is?
[/quote]

It is “Express Schema data model into executable code that provides basic functionality such as reading and writing the IFC file structure”

Thank u so much for your response

How can we create it? Is it created from ifc file with a specific tool or software?

Thanx

EXPRESS file: http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC4/Add2/IFC4_ADD2.exp

other formats: http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/specifications/ifc-releases/ifc4-add2

not sure about 2nd question.

Adding data to IFC would be a great option, e.g. thermal properties of materials still cannot be exported from Revit (shame!). IFC is a textual format but with a very crazy structure, so it’s not that easy to edit it directly. What I did is exported IFCXML - which is much easier to edit - checked IFCXML schema of how needed parameter is described, extracted parameters values by Dynamo and created a correctly formatted text which was manually added to IFCXML file.
The problem is that IFCXML is still even more rarely used, so I needed to convert it into a common STEP format. To do this I used BIM Server.
Pretty long and advanced workaround, probably you should start from “Export user defined property sets” in original exporter.

Thank u so much Ryan for your response. It worked. But do you know how to get IFC_GUID of objects from IFC file in Dynamo? Thanks

Thank u so much Nikolay for your great explanation, I will try to follow these steps, and let you know if I have any question about it. Thanx again

Hello Ryan

I have a question. I saw a picture in “https://dynamonodes.com/2016/09/07/read-from-ifc/” about “Read From IFC Node”, It shows how to filter IFC name and Attribute Values. But I don’t know what is the node which connects to IFCWALL in this example as shown in the attached figure. Could u please tell me how to filter the outputs, how to show each IFC name with all its ifc parameters and their value separately. For example show me the IFC parameters and their values for each wall of my Revit model.

1 Like

Dear @Nikolay_Gerasimov1

Can you please explain what you mean by

?
Because from what I know, IFC file exported by Revit stores material. I posted two photos, first one is a simple IFC text, second one an IFC opend by Solibri Model Viewer. I appreciate if you answer me, because I’m working on my thesis regarding this subject.

Regards,
Arghavan

Hi @arghavan.A,

I have the same problem with material properties export. As you show, the material is exported correctly , but I didn’t find the way to export parameters from materials.

Do you know how could it be done??

Thanks!

Hi @gregoriosaura Can you take a look at this thread? could be the answer.
Exporting Material's thermal properties from Revit to IFC through Dynamo

Hi @arghavan.A, thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately the parameters that revit exports are the wall parameters, not the material’s itself…I think it’s more complicated than we think, but I will keep trying!

1 Like

Hello, Ryan, the links are not available anymore. Are they been moved here ?
IFC Schema Specifications - buildingSMART Technical

And by the way, this workflow is working in D4R but not Dynamo Studio. Don’t know why