Placing line perpendicular to tangent of curve

Hello everyone, I am trying to create line perpendicular to the tangent of curve, I have done the tangent part but cannot get any leads on how to get the perpendicular line on either sides of the curve.

try these nodes…

1 Like

Thank you @_Vijay for the tip, will try it out

It is not creating a line perpendicular to the curve, is there anyother node might help?

There must be easier ways

By line perpendicular to the tangent, do you mean the normal?

2 Likes

Yes, I meant normal, I tried your nodes but it is not giving the desired output. like normal to curve is not getting modelled. Can u just check and tell what wrong i am doing in my workflow.

,PT Cable.dyn (345.2 KB)

Going to take some assumptions based on what I see, correct me if any are wrong:

• Pulling curves from a CAD file
  • Based on your output, the overall curve is segmented from many smaller curves (guessing from the multiple dots)
  • Your graph scale is huge and/or you are working in metric

The sample I posted does two things: picks a point at t=0.5 of the curve (midpoint), and draws a normal 4 units long. I’m not seeing an error flagged in the ghosted preview, and it looks like you have an output list.

Try changing the length of the normal line for better visual display?
Also a good time to ask, do you actually want normals from the midpoint of every curve segment?

I am pulling curves from CAD file,
The overall curve is segmented into small curves because in CAD file it is how the line is so when I pull curves from CAD it gets segmented,
And I am working in metric :sweat_smile:.
I will give you a brief of what I am trying to do. I have a 3D curve center line of bridge deck, which needs to be divided at the distance which varies(not equal distance). So I am trying to place points on curve and then create a normal to the curve on either sides on those particular points(the length of normal should be control should be user defined) so that i can place at end of those normal where i can place my 2 pt adp family of my bridge PT cable.

This is what I want to have as my end result.

Use planes (e.g. Curve.PlaneAtParameter) not points then you can simply plot points on the plane using X,Y coordinates. You might also find my suggestion here to circumvent the shortcomings of Dynamo’s geometry library for this type of problem useful too.

4 Likes