Placing Families on Linked Faces

Hi All,

I am new to Dynamo but I have worked with the Revit API for a year or two now coding in C#. I’m hoping to convert my existing C# into something I can build upon in Dynamo. My main code I want to transfer over involves placing families from an Excel file given x/y/z coordinates and the family type. In my implementation I have used the NewfamilyInstance method which conveniently allowed me to place the family if I was able to find a reference of the face of the wall in question. It had to be a reference because I am an MEP Engineer and all our projects use Arch/Interior Designers linked Revit models.

I was initially concerned that I would not be able to find any nodes that found wall faces, but luckily the Clock Work Packages seems to have tools to do this. I’ve seen Archi-lab_Grimshaw’s package that seems to get elements from links as well.

So I guess my question is twofold. My first question is if there are any packages that will let me place an instance of a face based family in a Revit ‘Model A’ using geometry from a linked Revit ‘Model B’. My second question, if the first answer is no, are all the C# methods and calls implemented in Revit’s Python scripting? I have a working knowledge with Python but I’ve never used it in Revit.

Thank you in advance!

@deltadovertime Have you search the forum?