Need something like Curve.PointAtLinearDistance

I’ve been tasked with having to translate thousands of feet of retaining walls defined by curved centerlines into straight segments exactly 4 feet in length. I hoped there would be alignment creation tools for this, but they unfortunately won’t work like this… So, I’m turning to Dynamo. I created a new polyline using polyline.bypoints after running the Curve.PointAtSegmentLength node on my object geometry. That operation results in points that are not 4’ apart from one another but which are 4’ of curve length apart. Since I need them to be 4’ apart as the stationing is reckoned after I translate the polyline into an alignment, I need something that would operate like the Curve.PointAtSegmentLength node. I have Camber, Arkance, and Civil3dToolKit. Should I be using other packages for this type of thing? Are there nodes anyone has worked with that might help me in other packages that someone can recommend?

I thought I would just try to use some kind of loop with circle.ByCenterPointRadius, but that ran into a couple problems including loops seeming to be very difficult to work with and the fact that I end up with two intersects for each circle rather than just the one in the ‘forward’ direction as I proceed along the curve.

Thanks for any help!

This might help: Dynamo Dictionary

1 Like

Hi @dforrestMJRCQ,

Sounds like you’re looking for chord length. Try the Curve.PointsAtChordLengthFromPoint node.

1 Like

Yes! That was exactly the node I needed. Thank you!!