Lunchbox Mass Addition // Looking for similar node

Hi,

Very new to Dynamo and going through some tutorials. One of those uses the Mass Addition node of the now defunct Lunchbox package.
Can anyone suggest a replacement? I read through a suggestion implying that the Math.Sum node does the same. No luck using the latter.

Thanks,
RT

Welcome to the forums!

Did you checked for similar questions already? This type of request (mass addition, cumulative sum) comes up fairly often. There should be some solutions posted already. If you have trouble with any of them let us know and we can try to sort you out.

Hi Nick, and thank you for the promptness.
I did look for a solution both here using strings like " lunchbox mass addition similar node" as well as on Google adding “dynamo”. Nothing practical came up and I am too green to venture into python.
I’ll appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Raffi

Try to make your search a little more generic. Most of the time you won’t find someone doing exactly what you’re trying to do, but you can find similar problems that offer similar solutions.

In this case, you don’t actually need a node similar to the lunchbox node. You just need something that does “mass addition”.

Nick,
It’s very nice of you to do a search for me: very appreciative! That being said, I came across the first thread. It does not contain a serviceable solution for me. Neither does the second one which is a new one.
I did try several mass addition nodes but they do not return comparable results. I already mentioned Math.Sum. There is a similar Clockwork node called Mass Addition which returns the same list structure with null values throughout…
Thanks again,
Raffi

Your solution may not be a single node that does exactly what you want. There are multiple solutions to getting the cumulative sum of a list of numbers between those two posts.

At the very least, you need to show us what you’re trying and why it’s not working. We can’t help you if we don’t know what you’re doing.

Here is what I am dealing with:
Trying to create a warehouse file which places on a grid one item of each loadable family type (casework in this case). To array those along a grid, the X coordinate component of each item need to be a sum of the X values of those before it.

Thanks,
Raffi

So which alternatives from the linked posts have you tried? There’s at least one python solution and two node solutions that I saw just from skimming.

Looked through these, Nick.

1. As I mentioned above, python is above my pay grade.
  2. Even the node solutions appear too dense for me. The solution that j.boonen fashioned after a discussion with you and a few other folks has a few code blocks I am struggling to understand.
    Thanks for your help. Wish I’d be able to take it from here.
    Cheers,
    R

Work on learning those nodes and code blocks. If the DesignScript (code block language) is too confusing, try connecting the nodes that you see in the code block to see if you can figure out the logic. If it works within a code block it’ll work outside of one too.

Also looks like I mistakenly linked the same post twice before. Meant to link one with an (almost) full node solution. My previous post has been updated with the other link now.

@Nick_Boyts thanks again for all your help. I found another thread started from the same person who launched the discussion a couple of months ago dating back from February.

It has a link to the extracted Mass Addition node.
There is also an design script solution in it. I don’t have the capacity to understand the discussion following further down but the node did solve the problem.
Thanks for your attention and guidance.
Cheers,
Raffi

I would highly suggest you work through the Dynamo Primer. It will help you learn the basics of node logic, list levels, DesignScript, and many other essentials. These skills are 100% necessary for your Dynamo journey.

2 Likes