Importing data from excel

Dear all,
I am successful exporting data from revit to excel, but could’nt do it while importing from excel into revit. From the previous posts I understand that i have to add GUID, but dont know how!!. I am getting error message as "Warning: Element.SetParameterByName operation failed. The Parameter’s storage type is not a string"
Please see the screen shot and help me out.
Thanks in Advance.
Sultan Ahamed

Hi,

My understanding of that is the parameter that you are trying to change is not in a form of a string, e.g trying to change a length value ( 13000 ) into a word ( Thirteen thousand) ; it won’t accept it.

So you are trying to change type mark?

Look into that parameter is it stored as a number, string or maybe its link up to another element.

Good luck

@ksultanahamed

The parameter will only take a number as input, convert it with a node called String.toNumber
As for the GUID, in a non workshared file youre good with the ID i think.
In a workshared file ID will work if you are the only one working in the file, in all other cases use UniqueID.
Changing to a new workset-set will change the ID’s. And some other cases aswell i believe.
To be sure use GUID.
ElementBy.ID and Element.ByUniqueID are your designscript keywords here.

Edit: dont know why the word ElementBY.ID turned into a blue hyperlink like word.
And use ElementSelector.ByUniqueId(Id, true) for comparison getting the data back in.

credits for the picture go to @Kulkul

Marcel

Thanks all.
Let me give a try using the GUID & parameter whether it is number, string?

For me the ElementSelector.ByUniqueId(id) is not working. I get an error " Dereferncing a non-pointer".
where i am going wrong!!

Is it ok to use “Element.ByID-Clockwork” but I am getting an error; “Warning: Element.SetParameterByName operation failed. The Parameter’s storage type is not a string”

@ksultanahamed

ElementSelector.ByUniqueID is not working if you have certain packages installed i think.
Try Revit.ElementSelector.ByUniqueId(Id, true)
And use String.ToNumber to convert a text to a number.

Marcel
PS. These questions have all been answered before in the forum, try the search button at the top of your screen.

Automating COBie-UK 2012