How to intersect Geometry (Like in SketchUp, etc)

Hi all,

I’m just start using dynamo. Very simple question, I would like to Intersect 2 Geometries. But the created geometry is not close. So just like when we did the process in SketchUp or Rhino, I want the cutted surface to be capped but I cannot find a solution in here.

And here is the script I did, it is very messy sorry for that :sweat_smile:.

Your help will be highly appreciate!!

Peace

Below you can see eactly what I want to achieve, beside with the outcome from dynamo.

Any sugession? I’m really have no clue how to solve it … :frowning:

Hi @ihatebroccoli !
You can try Polysurface.UnconnectedBoundaries
(maybe you will have to test if the curves are planar)

You can try the Surface.ByPatch inputting the polycurve of the upper limit

Hi @Francois_Labonne !

I have tried followed your instruction, but it seemed like I got surfaces not polysurface after extruded. :sweat_smile:

Hi @ricardo.zimmermann ,

Thank you for your comment. can you please tell me how I can get the polycurve and how to select them? Before I tried Surface.PerimeterCurves to get all the curves but don’t know to select just some of them to create a surface using Surface.ByPatch.

Best,

please be so kind to check the script I have made so far in this link: https://we.tl/t-flOiXJ4C1m

hope it is not too messy to handle.

Thank you everyone in advance!

yes because i have made my script in dynamo sandbox, there te result is polysurface, but in dynamo for revit it make a surface…

@ihatebroccoli

@Francois_Labonne , you are about to save my life! thank you so much for your help!!! its worked.

Next step, I would like to intersect the intersected object 1 & 2(as described in the dyn. file) again and the result gave me again some not-closing surface. Since right now there is more than one side which not close, do you have any following solution?

By the way, I still not really understand the logic of that Index in the List.GetItemAtIndex how is it work? just like when you typed [0,3] for me.

Thank you again!

@ihatebroccoli, have you considered using a solid instead of surfaces? This would save you a lot of extra steps, and you would be working to the strength of the application (Dynamo’s core geometry engine is a solid modeler, the other apps you mentioned are surface modelers).

1 Like

Hello @jacob.small, Thank you fro your replied. Actually, I’m not so familiar with dynamo yet (Just tried it for 3days) so I have no idea about it. So I can only compare the result I want with another software that I know.

Would you mind give a few minutes to have a look at the script I did? General idea is I want to intersect an object with a different geometries. Then use these result and intersect them in every possibility way to see the result shape out come and volume. And the last step is to generate them in Generative Design. So this what I’m stuggling is just the first step, unfortunately.

I know for a very beginner level like me this might be way too much but I really need to test it for making some decision.

@jacob.small Oh Yes!! you are totally right. I tried to create them with solid and it work! I will try to re-do the script now. Hopefully it will work properly. Thank you!!

1 Like

Hi @jacob.small I’m testing the next step to generate the series of Intersected Geometries just for getting priminary of how this app work. As I understand, the node for this generative design cannot support List, but so far I don’t have a solution to get rid of the list value. Do you have any suggestion? (The Generative Part is in the Blue square)

Can you post the current DYN?

@jacob.small here is the link to my current DYN

Thank you!

1 Like

@jacob.small Not sure it is right way to do but I use List.GetItemAtIndex after Geometry.Intersect so that I can get rid of the list and now there is no issue to export for Generative Design part.

Yeah, that certainly works. There are several other aspects I was addressing which would make things much more efficient (ie: extrude as solid instead of translating and lofting), but my day job got in the way so I was unable to finish. Sorry about that.

Run with this for now, and I’ll try and get something together for you next week.

1 Like

Hi! @jacob.small I have upload my current DYN again please feel free to have a look. Right now the generative part runs properly with the script I did so far. By the way you will see I have created lots of Geometry.Intersect nodes (Please don’t laugh :sweat_smile:), which by the way still wasn’t complete all the possibily outcome from that logic (feeled guilty to continue :joy:). I know it has the right way to do this and surely you will understand what I want to achieve from this file.

Thank you very much!!

1 Like