GUID (not UniqueID)

Can anyone post a graph that just shows the godamn GUID please! I had one that was came from a package and no longer functions. Wish autodesk would just publish some that are commonly asked for.

You can get a GUID from visual studio if it’s a new one you want.

Thanks for the reply. I have someone working on the api. However if I could package that as a Dynamo node, I can deploy to other users…any resource for how to package a node or if there was an out-of-the-box node? I searched extensively but couldn’t find one.

Just use Python and the API. Not everything has a node because we still have the full API available to develop whatever use cases we may need. This method also doesn’t require any deployment so it’s quick and easy to share.

GUID of what? Unique ID should match unless I am misunderstanding something…

2 Likes

Jacob is un-suprisingly… Correct.

Unique ID is infact GUID, example shown below where i get element unique ID and then following that get the element by GUID using python.

More accurately, the Revit UniqueId is just the GUID + ElementId.

2 Likes

So what’s happening is when an item is disjoined another element id gets created. This would cause the UniqueID to change (appropriately). However, the item that I’ve been tracking all along has a potentially new element id which my data (before the change) needs reconciliation and that’s what causing the issue where I really need the GUID, assuming it never changes unless the element got deleted. Case in point, if I export to Navis, I do get a GUID (9dd29a9b-cc40-4e12-873c-1d6ce551548a) and UniqueID (9dd29a9b-cc40-4e12-873c-1d6ce469c45e-013890d4) and element id (20484679). The bolt text is where Unique ID departs from the GUID, perhaps the change in element id as was pointed out. Any further help much appreciated! Thank you all for chiming in here!

I am less certain of this, but I think those unique IDs are generated differently as part of the export/import process.

Why do you want this info?

I’m using the UniqueID to map updated data (in another system) back to an updated model where element id’s may have changed thereby triggering an update to the UniqueID. In retrospect, I should just generated my own GUID and hardcoded them. But now, I really need control data to map over the updated data into the models.

How many of the GUIDs map? If it’s a few items it may be worth using GUID to map 90% of them and then map to the next dataset.

If not you could cross your fingers and try adding the parameter and GUID to elements and doing a new export in the hopes that GUID or Unique ID hold enough to allow mapping the new GUID into the old data set and then use it as a transformation matrix of sorts.

Just confirming the UniqueID did NOT change with the element id, which baffles me. Going to proceed to see how many map over from a current set of models. THANK YOU EVERYONE!