Get Line Direction through Python

Hi guys… I’m trying to get the line direction through Python… But it doesn’t seem to work.

Any Tips?

Hello Ramoon,

Try this code out. It uses a List Comprehension to achieve the results in one line :slight_smile:

# Load the Python Standard and DesignScript Libraries
import sys
import clr
clr.AddReference('ProtoGeometry')
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *

if not isinstance(IN[0], list):
    IN[0] = [IN[0]]

direction = [ ln.Direction for ln in IN[0] ]

OUT = direction

The error message you were getting is due to the Direction being a property. As such, you cannot call it - i.e use parenthesis. Simply use the instance call on each line, which I called ln, and get the Direction property from that instance.

Using a loop, it would look like so:

import sys
import clr

IN[0] = [IN[0]]

direction = [ ]
for line in IN[0]:
    ln = line.Direction
    direction.append(ln)

OUT = direction
4 Likes

Thanks for your answer @solamour solved my problem.

Is there something i can use to get all properties associated to a given object?

thank you!

Hello Ramoon,

You can find all of the methods, actions and properties associated with a thing inside of python using the dir function.

import sys
import clr

IN[0] = [IN[0]]

# Note the double indexing here - because we make all items a list above
OUT = dir(IN[0][0])

In order to see the syntax associated with something, you can also call the ._ doc _ property.

import sys
import clr

IN[0] = [IN[0]]

# Note the double indexing here - because we make all items a list above
OUT = IN[0][0].Trim.__doc__
8 Likes

THANK YOU!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Here is a bookmark

1 Like

You are most welcome :slight_smile:

Could you explain how can access to these methods, because I am new and I do not know why when I try to access to these methods appear me this type of error, I really appreciate so much

Hello @Luiscko -

It depends on the kind of data you are putting into your Python node. As you can see in the screenshot below, if you simply put in a single surface (Note: Not in a list) it will work correcty:

If I wrap this surface in a list, you’ll notice that the Python node will Error out, albeit with a different error than you have :slight_smile:

So can you please take a screenshot showcasing the output of the data that is being fed into this node?

1 Like

Is something like the second one, thank you very much, Now I understand why is not working before, is because of the complexity of the list even if was one element was inside in a list, so I need to be careful in the way how to feed the code.

I check with your consideration and now I am aware about that,

1 Like

Inside of Python you need to handle Lists manually - Dynamo does this for you automagically :wink:

So, you would be doing the following:

import sys
import clr

dataEnteringNode = IN #This 'IN' variable refers to ALL input ports of Python node
inputOne = IN[0] #This is all the data coming into the port of 'IN[0]' on the Python node

singleItem = Surface.PerimeterCurves(inputOne)

OUT = singleItem

If we have a single object coming in to that IN[0] input, then we need to index into it to remove the list and pull our chosen element out:

import sys
import clr

dataEnteringNode = IN #This 'IN' variable refers to ALL input ports of Python node
inputOne = IN[0] #This is all the data coming into the port of 'IN[0]' on the Python node

listItem = Surface.PerimeterCurves(inputOne[0])

OUT = listItem

This is achieved using the square brace notation [number] to pull out the object. In our case, it’s a single object, so we pull from the first (And only) index of zero (written as [0] in Python).

If we had multiple surfaces we wanted to pull the perimeter curves from, then we need to iterate over them, which takes the full list, then specifically runs a sequence of events over each item in that list:

import sys
import clr

results = [] #We create an empty list to catch our results

for element in inputOne: #Looping in a 'For Loop' over all things inside the inputOne list
    crvs = Surface.PerimeterCurves(element) #For each thing, get their perimter curves
    results.append(crvs) #Append (add to) the empty list called 'results' the curves

OUT = results #Push out the result
1 Like

Thank you very much for your detail explanation I really appreciate so much your time to write this useful information

1 Like

You are most welcome @Luiscko! Always happy to help where I can :slight_smile:

1 Like