Get DefaultTemplateId from a ViewFamilyType

Oh my, I now realise how long it’s been since I last posted here. This feels good!
Hello everyone!

I am trying to get the DefaultTemplateId property of a ViewFamilyType

My problem though is that I cannot get a ViewFamilyType object out of Dynamo as it sees everything as an ElementType (which is it’s parent object ViewFamilyType Class)

I tried in python to change the class with myElementType.__class__ = ViewFamilyType but that’s just for classes defined by you (fair enough).

At this point it’s really doing my head in and I don’t understand how could I get there.
I’m using Revit 2021

Anyone came across this issue?

Hi @ATassera

If you’re using Python just unwrap them and use the ViewFamilyType.DefaultTemplateId property:

import clr

clr.AddReference("RevitNodes")
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)

clr.AddReference("RevitAPI")
import Autodesk
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

viewFamilyTypes = UnwrapElement(IN[0])

defaultTemplateIds = []
for viewFamilyType in viewFamilyTypes:
	defaultTemplateId = viewFamilyType.DefaultTemplateId 

defaultTemplateIds.append(defaultTemplateId)

OUT = defaultTemplateIds
3 Likes

Thanks @Thomas_Mahon I know I can always count on you! :slight_smile:

It’s weird because I was unwrapping the input, but still it wasn’t working…unfortunately I was so frustrated I deleted my python node so I can’t check what else I was doing wrong :unamused:

Anyway that fixes it. Thanks again!

EDIT: Actually now I remember what was going wrong: even after unwrapping, my python node was complaining that an ElementType didn’t have a DefaultTemplateId property. But it’s working now for some reason. Oh well, it’s working, that’s all that matters

2 Likes