Get Autodesk Email with Dyanmo

Is there a way to get the email address a user is signed into revit with? The user nodes in Rhythm and Clockwork return the Autodesk ID which doesn’t always match the associated email.

This looks to be a good place to start: Username Property

1 Like

Welcome to the forums. This is an interesting question. What email are you hoping to get from autodesk or someone else with dyanmo?

It looks like this is a very tough issue: Send email by Python? - #4 by T_Pover

I’m wondering if this is something a user can’t get thru the API . . . .

2 Likes

email is a private data, I don’t think that one day the Revit API implements this property (RGPD, etc…)

1 Like

Since the username parameter is exposed to oneself, and the user is deciding to run this directly on their system there is no data privacy issue up front (you already know information about you). After getting to the info there are potential issues with data privacy issues to take into account when you ask for this type of stuff, so best to discuss with legal council before you produce something that uses what you find. Fines can be rather extreme as well (ie: the greater of €20 million or 4% of annual revenue), so don’t take this lightly.

That said I’ll look into this later tonight (unless someone comes back with a ‘nope nope nope don’t want’ response before then), as it looks like a nice little challenge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d recommend building a list to keep company internal in csv format or similar with username/email pairings. That way you keep the emails secure but able to be matched using a custom node/function or similar.

1 Like

I do not believe the email address is accessible.

1 Like

Did some digging on this. If the username os set to contain their email it should reimport the full email. If not then it will require mapping to Forge where email is a property of the user.

1 Like