Geometry and Output data not Visible in Generative design

Hello,

I am working on a graph for curtain wall raster optimization. It is still work in progress in a very early stage, but I was trying to make some initial test with the Generative Design tool. At the moment I am only using OOTB nodes and a simple python script, that is not referencing the Revit API.

I get some results from the outputs when running the graph directly from Dynamo:

I am also able to generate some geometry. None of it is visible in the GD tool, while I am still able to import it in the model:

Here’s the graph and a basic sample file:
gen_test_FE0.3.dyn (166.5 KB)
Test.rvt (5.1 MB)

Here’s also the Python script I am using, I don’t think it should be causing issues with GD:

# Import necessary Dynamo libraries
import clr
clr.AddReference('ProtoGeometry')
from Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry import *

# Function to find intersecting points within each list
def find_intersecting_points(lines):
    intersect_points = []
    for i in range(len(lines)):
        for j in range(i + 1, len(lines)):
            intersection = lines[i].Intersect(lines[j])
            if intersection:
                for point in intersection:
                    intersect_points.append(point)
    return intersect_points

# Input list of lists containing lines
input_lists_of_lines = IN[0]

# Iterate through each list of lines and find intersecting points
intersecting_points_result = []
for lines in input_lists_of_lines:
    intersecting_points_result.append(find_intersecting_points(lines))

# Output list of intersecting points for each list
OUT = intersecting_points_result

:pray:

Hum…when I run this in Revit 2024.2 It runs fine for me and gives me results. I think it should also work in 2023 just fine, but I’m wondering if something is up with your installation. Do you have another computer you can try it on?

1 Like

thank you for the quick reply! That’s strange…

I tried it on two PCs in Revit 2021 and 2023

edit: restarted and now it works… there was an issue with a custom node that is using the API, which is the one I replaced with the Python script. However, a restart was needed for some reason. Sorry for the spam :pray:

Well, not really… Just added a few more nodes in the same graph and now there are issues again. It actually works fine in Revit 2024:

But on the same PC it still doesn’t work in Revit 2023:

On another PC it shows some weird results in 2021:

And when you try to change the study type to anything other than ‘Optimize’ it just turns blank:

Do you have any idea what could be causing this? We don’t have any projects in 2024 yet, so simply using it in with this version does not solve the issue

Hi Danail,

A lot of bugs are fixed on the way to Revit 2024 and GD14. We will need to know which version of Revit (and corresponding GD) you require this to work on. Is it 2023?

Since Lilli already validated 2024 I will look at 2023. Thanks for providing the files, it really helps.

Neal

QA for the team

1 Like

Thank you, Neal!

fe.rvt (5.7 MB)
gen_test_FE0.9_hotfix.dyn (290.1 KB)

This is the latets graph we just tested in 2021

2021 is the primary version we would like to use it from. Other than that its 2023

Is this for one project, or intended to scale to many? If many, you may want to revisit your versions as 2021 is in the last four or five months (make no purchasing decisions) of it’s support lifecycle, meaning projects not already using this tool should be upgrading soon.

Its intended to scale. You are right, but we still have a lot of our projects on 2021 and they will probably complete their own lifecycle soon too. Then we will most probably jump to 23 as we have already started to do so. We actually tend to skip a year, as most projects’ lifecycle is at least two years and we can not also just upgrade without taking into account external engineers, contractors. etc. So most probably after 23 we will be jumping straight to 25

In which case I recommend focusing your efforts on 2023, as it’ll likely take multiple efforts to keep things working in both builds as 2021 is quite a ways back and there is a TON to account for in the time that has passed - just looking at the graph you have different node rendering so things have to be built with more ‘space’ between the nodes to get things readable in 2023 and up.

We’re off typic here, but I would also recommend getting into the annual releases if you can - yes it’s more work, but you’re paying for updates you aren’t taking advantage of. If I were setting things up for a firm today we’d take the year the contract was signed and use that as the version, and write into the contracts that every other year of life we’d upgrade to that year’s build. This would ensure that you were always 1 - 3 years behind the ‘most recent’ so in the support window, and enable jobs to take advantage of new features of later builds.

Just an fyi update: we can reproduce your findings with 2021, and your graphs work correctly with 2024.