Floor Curves arent alligned to the same plane in dynamo

Im having an issue where my Dynamo script sees some floors who otherwise tough and have edge curves that touch, arent touching when loading into dynamo

Combine floors.dyn (36.4 KB)

ive included the dynamo script :slight_smile: it works very well but have this one quirk. anybody got any ideas of why its not reading the floors correctly?

i got help in another thread, hope this isnt a violation :smile:

heres the link to the project file. its just a cutout of the real file, as the real project contains sensitive data

Hello,

Can you confirm that your problem has been solved? If so, I will remove this thread.

hey. sorry it was poor wording by me. i meant i got help to make this script in another thread. this is a new problem :frowning:

1 Like

2021 and you’re attempting a design task? Time to upgrade as that version won’t likely be supported much longer (2025 comes out in a few months if history holds). Fortunately I put that build back on my system over the weekend so I could have a quick look at things.

For me the geometry is in alignment in terms of XY location; if you are seeing something else there it may be that your have something else going on with the layout. Pulling the curves onto a consistent XY plane (such as the global XY plane) can help resolve any Z discrepancy, which I believe is stemming from the original floors having different initial sketch planes. You can also increase efficiency by removing the Python node and replacing it with a List.Flatten further along in the process (anywhere between the sketch collection and the polysurface creation).

1 Like

Hey Jacob

Thank you for the aid, it works like a charm, tho still isnt doing it perfect, but well get there.

it seems to struggle when combining floors that uses subelement points and floors that use the slope function. got any ideas on that one?

“the reason we run 2021 (for now) is due to our clients and business partners. we’ll change it up to 2024 soon :)”

One idea offhand: edit the points up 1 unit, then down one unit, thereby enforcing the point edit.

That said I am not sure what your real goal is here or the context in which you’re using the tool.

Hey Jacob

My colleague have created this beaty. and instead of having 177 pieces of floor, we’d like to combine it into one singular. this is because we have a very nice fence family that can be hosted to the floor, but it can’t span across multiple floors. so we’re experimenting with combining them.

the reason we aren’t using topography, is that floors are easier to work with when mixing different terrain types.

Gotcha. Try doing the edit on the sloped floors to generate a point sloped method. It might also be easier to use another means of hosting that fence or even rebuilding the family (if I had to build one today I’d experiment with an adaptive repeater to create the posts and the panels including any sub-framing). By joining all the topography into one surface you’re adding some risk as editing the combined surface would likely be an absolute nightmare (why I assume you split it to begin with). Just think of what happens when the site engineer comes back with ‘the transformer has to move and so we’re regrading all of this’.

you’re absolutely correct.
we ended up making a host floor that runs beneath the fence and made a dynamo script to adapt it to the floor pieces :slight_smile: Thank you for your guidance and help.

1 Like