Finding a home on the forum for open "Revit Ideas" related to API additions

To the moderators/community,

As I’m sure many of you do, I sometimes find myself coming up against a gaping hole in the Revit API.

This is evident across the forum where often users ask and re-ask questions about missing API methods.

I myself this morning have done exactly this when looking into whether I can create a phase. After spending/wasting some time fishing around to see if it’s possible I found a forum post which mentions that there is an active suggestion on the ideas board for this functionality to be added.

The issue is that not as many people in the ideas forum are interested in API additions, whereas lots of people here are.

I was wondering if it would be beneficial to the community to have a page/pinned link somewhere on here to ideas for commonly suggested additions to the API where we could muster the mighty power of this community and add a large number of votes onto these ideas?

Just an idea, let me know what you think.

1 Like

I think this is an excellent idea, Jake.

We can, but I’m not sure to what purpose it would serve as the people who need the insights aren’t coming here to see what we’re asking for - it’d kind of being like having a section for a Microsoft Excel API wishlist… the community will know about it but the people who need to know about it so they can effect change won’t. While myself and some of the other Autodesk employees here do what we can but directly sharing your input via the formal channel is the best way to get software changes introduced.

So to ensure that we are following that metric we need to surface it to the respective team via their formal channels - in the case of Revit we have the choice of the Ideas Board and the Public Roadmap; any action which we take here needs to build on that not introduce more ‘find the feedback’ issues onto the respective teams plate. Quite a few improvements have been implemented over the last few years which were discussed at length in unofficial locations which delayed a few fixes which I’ve loved.

For now I propose we provided a category for “Host Application Improvement Request” or something like that (name needs to be clear) which will allow surfacing all of these. This will enable more than just 'the API should have this so please help reinforce the feedback" but also will allow linking to the formal request location and give the community a chance to help provide work-arounds for the time being. I also think we can look at adding links to the other roadmaps on our ‘roadmap’ tab at the top of the page.

We’ll wait till next week so the rest of the community and moderation/admin team can weigh in before we act on anything.