FamilyInstance.HandOrientation

Hi guys,

I’m selecting families from a linked model, but when I want to get the Orientation, It’s giving me a null.

Anyone knows why?

probably need to dive into FamilyInstance.HandOrientation node to discover more.

Perhaps your output from “Match” is not a list of FamilyInstance objects.

This is the node itself.

The node worked before with this setup, so I don’t understand it.

Perhaps your output from “Match” is not a list of FamilyInstance objects. Not all Elements are FamilyInstances.

Hmm, I’m selecting these families.

How can I be sure?

Use LinkElement.Element node from BiMorphNodes Package.

But how can I filter after this node?

You have linked elements in filter node. Take those elements to that node I mentioned to transform them. Then you can call their parameter.

Well, now I’m getting this error. The location is an error and the orientation a null.

Try using Element.Location instead of LinkedElement because you call them in Dynamo as normal elements. For Hand orientation try to use levels or lacing longest.

Thanks, that did the trick partially. It get’s a list, but with a null value.

try this:

get rid of FamilyInstance.Orientaion

create a python node and replace the script with following:

import clr

clr.AddReference('RevitNodes')
import Revit
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.GeometryConversion)
clr.ImportExtensions(Revit.Elements)

clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *

#Preparing input from dynamo to revit
elems = UnwrapElement(IN[0])

OUT = [e.HandOrientation.ToVector() for e in elems if isinstance(e, FamilyInstance)]
1 Like

After Element.Filter ByName add LinkedElement.Element and connect output of that to just HandOrientation node.

It is still giving a null value.

Okay, I will try this out if it isn’t working at all. I’m never used python codes before, so I’m afraid I don’t understand this type of code .

The python script works!! Thankyou very much